Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
*BFT.COM 1ST ANNUAL "DINNER ON ICE" EVENT NEWS*
Lets start getting it planned out so we don't try to cram it all in at the last minute.

I say Strawberry should be the place. It's centrally located for more anglers to attend. The fishing will be a little bit faster their for all anglers as opposed to some place like Bear Lake where only a few anglers might catch something. I think the odds at strawberry would be better for everyone over all.

Date:

I am going to throw out [size 1]February[/size] 1st start at about 7'ish. Ice should be good and thick by then. I have never fished Straw on ice. So if someone knows something, please let me know i.e. if the fishing is better in the early stages or later.

Cost:

Predator and myself have [size 1]discussed[/size] it and we have decided we are going to ask all anglers who attend to bring five dollars to the event to help our "caterers" defer the cost of providing all the food for the dutch oven cookin'.

So here is a baseline for the event. lets get some feedback from [size 1]everyone[/size].
[signature]
I have checked my calendar, and I have Feb. 1st free. I agree that Strawberry is more centrally located, and the fishing can be fast and fun. $5.00 is a steal for some dutch oven cooking, and think that is a great idea. Count me in.

Jacob
[signature]
What a deal, can anyone attend?? Do we need to pay upfront to help buy the goods?
[signature]
We are still trying to decide if we want to open this up to the public or just BFT members? We are going to try to pay when you get your food. That way the money goes straight to Old Coot and doesn't switch hands too many times.
[signature]
Sounds like fun! I can bring some salsa for those that want alittle spice. I could help out with cooking or what ever is needed too. For the best fishing we should avoid all the easy access areas. These places are good at first ice and quickly fade with all the noise and pressure. But I'll go wherever the crowd goes. Teroy the best ice fishing is the most dangerous, first and last ice. Here are acouple good links for ice fishing: http://www.hickorytech.net/~busby/iceangler.html

www.877ICEFISH.COM

Slabs on ice! Aron
[signature]
Count me in! This would be a great opportunity for me to meet some of the BFT-Utah members. Even though I don't get to post much or fish Willard a lot (I'm in Orem), I check on the site everyday for the latest fishing news around Utah. By February, Strawberry ice will probably be over 12" (just a guess) and handcutting holes in the ice will be on the tiring side, so I would like to volunteer my power auger to use for this event. Maybe we could take a poll on who's got what in terms of ice fishing equipment.

George S
Strawberry sounds like a winner, and February 1st is a good date. The price is fantastic and very fair. If Old Coot needs us to bring anything to help out as well please let me know. AFDan52
[signature]
My vote would go either to strawberry or utah lake. But, strawberry has it very best fishing when the bays just begin to freeze up and the main lake is still open water. Dont worry, its not dangerous, the ice is always plenty thick so I would vote for an earlier date than feb if we have it at strawberry. If it goes somewhere else, we may need the latter date to allow for good ice. I talked to old coot, and he is thinking $5.00 per adult and maybee $3.00 per kid. And I will say that is not optional. I wont let old coot eat all the cost for a big event like this, so everyone make sure to bring a couple bucks and a thankful heart for the man. That white bass fishing on utah lake can be real hot, but the fish arent very big. I am game for anywhere, and anytime as long as it is centrally located and there is safe ice. It is going to be fun no matter where it is. Now as far as a gathering beacon is concerned, The Angler has provided me with a huge banner. Its a six foot by three foot baner of the Big Fish Tackle logo.

[Image: hedleft2.jpg]

Looks like that. Big yellow and blue sign. I will be hanging it on my ice shantee. So when you get to the lake, look for the big banner and that is where we will all be. I will set up next to old coot and his dutch oven surprise. If we all gather around and form a big pod of fishermen we should be able to have a good time meeting each other, fishing, and making some more BFT memories. Anyone who went to the BFT breakfast knows the guys here are a class act group and this event should be the highlight of the ice season, so come and join us. Lets all have some fun under the BFT banner catching fish and eating some award winning dutch oven while making some new friends.

One note, if you have some room in your sled, and can give us a hand getting the dutch ovens out on the ice and back off the ice, please help out. Its a lot of weight to have one or two guys haul, so lets save the man some trips by helping him out. I have room for a few ovens in my sled. Also, if you plan on going, make sure you post up that you will be there. The dutch oven crew needs to know how many to plan for, so please help out by giving some notice as to if you are coming and if you are bringing your kid or wife or whatever.
Does anyone have access to a snow mobile?? That would be the best way to get things back and forth??
[signature]
well as i posted before im not much of a ice fisherman. but count me in i think taht would be fun to meet everyone here. dutch oven my next favorite to chocolate haha and i havent fished the berry this year so ill check it off my list for this year by going or early next year still counts. let me know what i need to bring. not to fish but to help with gear or whatever. getting it out there etc.

happy fishing

xman
[signature]
I am sorry, My question as to whether anyone could attend was referring to new members and their family? I would really like to attend and offer anything that I can do to help!
[signature]
that would be up to Coot boatless. It would be up to him if he could handle that many people or not. It's fine with me though.[Smile]

btw, are you military??
[signature]
Boatless, if you dont come we will all be dissapointed. As for bringing family, I dont think I could talk my wife into sitting on the ice waiting for a slimy fish but if your can take the cold and wants to come, or if you happen to have the appropriate cold weather gear for your kids, go ahead and bring them. My old man always fishes with me so I am sure he will be there.
I will definitly be there then!! I just wanted to bring my 9 year son along with me. I was in the Air Force for about 8 1/2 years and now I am Civil Service and an electrician/fire alarm tech. I know it isn't fishing related but I offer any electrical help in trade for pointers or whatever else related to fishing!!
[signature]
You are on base then?? I am active duty up here at hill. Old Coot and AF Dan also work on base as civilians up here. I work out in the 649th MUNS. Stop by someday and we'll chit chat about fishing[Smile]
[signature]
I think if you choose the "Berry" for a destination , about feb 1 the ice is about 2 foot deep with snow on it . Can be alot of work to punch holes in the ice . I only have hand auger so I thought I should bring this up . I general stop ice fishing around that time . I would still come if this is what is decide to meet some of you . Oh by the way . Does the wall of fame pictures have to be current pics ? I have some pics of my fish but they are about 4 years old no recent pics to share . not as much fishing lately as I would like .
[signature]
If you have a nice fish pic, by all means please post it for all to see[Smile]
[signature]
I had heard that you can rent snomobiles at the lodge?? I would be willing to do that if they are truly available. Does anyone out there know about this?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Hey all you fishin buddies,[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Man, does this "Dinner on Ice" fling thing sound fun or what! Just think of it ... ice fishing with the family and friends and then a fantastic Dutch oven dinner waiting to be enjoyed ... right out there on the Ice! You guys can't believe how excited Fish4Food and myself are about putting on this spread.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]F4F and myself have been making some great plans for the menu. As soon as we've got it figured out to the T we'll post it. But be careful boys, once you see the menu, you will want to move the date up![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Already, many of you have offered to help in many ways. For those of you who have ever been involved in cooking Dutch oven for large groups, you know that it is an enormous amount of work. So I will be watching your posts very closely and probably calling on a few of you with some experience to help out. But the main important thing here is that you all have a VERY good time FISHING and EATING.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Some of you have asked about bringing family and friends ... I say, the more the better. There's nothing quite like a youngster out there fishing along side their dad or uncle. Just do me one BIG favor ... as time gets closer, post a posting letting me know how many in your party will be coming. I'll need to know to make sure we prepare enough for everyone. Right now it's a very wild guess as to how many will be participating. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Just to give you all an idea of how much experience Fish4Food and myself have cooked Dutch oven; We have catered dinners for pricey doctor's wedding dinners, Ogden City Chamber of Commerce, corporate parties including one at Lagoon for 230 people, many river raft expeditions with 50 per group for weeks, scout camps, a few Dutch oven competitions (always placed), large church parties, and more.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]Our plans are to make this cookout the cookout to beat all! It's a very unique thing to be out there ice fishing and Dutch oven cooking all at the same time.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]We don't want to make money on this project. But I don't want to refi my home to afford it either. So we think that $5.00 per adult (well fed) and $3.00 for a child's portion should cover expenses (hopefully).[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2]F4F and myself are a couple of excited cooks right now. So keep talking it up and lets make this one awesome memorable event that you and your friends will remember for a LONG time! [sly][/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Wow! Looks like we found a HOT topic with Ice Fishing and Food!! But seriously, Old Coot and I are excited about this event. We’ve been training for this one for a long time! It should be a lot of fun, and the way Old Coot plans things when we cook, if anyone goes away hungry, it’ll be their own fault!! Wanted to add my 2 cents worth about who we invite – the more the merrier. Especially if they come up dressed for the weather. And I think it’ll be great publicity for the BFT Utah club. So get the word out! And bring some cameras! Looking forward to see’in ya’all there. Yee Haw!! [/size][/font]
[signature]