Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawa'i' Surf rods
Can anyone describe to me the construction of those long rods the Hawai'i natives use for shore fishing for a fish called an Ulua (I think that's the spelling) The rods look to be about 14 feet in length and the reels they use are 4/0 types spooled with #60 pound mono with 10 feet of #100 to 200 pound test leader. The fish are humongous and average #50 pounds and are caught to 120 pounds....from the beach. George
[signature]
now there's a tuogh one

I am not a rod builder but have seen the rods you speek of on varoius programs about surf fishing.

I wonder where this search will take me...[blush]

be back as soon as I find something. or sooner if some one beets me to the punch.
[signature]
see if this is the one you are talking about,

from what I can find is that this rod is a costum made rod manufactured by

[#ff0000][size 2][url "http://www.mkhouse.com/rodspecs.htm"]Kimura of Hawaii[/url] [#ff0000][size 1](link)[/size][/#ff0000][/size][/#ff0000]

[url "http://www.mkhouse.com/rodspecs.htm#Ulua"][font "Arial"][#000080][size 3]Ulua/Shorecasting Rods[/size][/#000080][/font][/url] [#ff0000](link)[/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][size 2][/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
Thanks davetclown. It would be interesting to see a
13 1/2 foot surf rod that fishes #60 lb. They even have a one piece graphite which must cost a fortune. Anyway thanks for the lead, maybe someday I'll get to watch those guys but I have said that about 2000 pound sturgeon, bonefish, 900 pound bluefin etc, and so far I have never left Long Beach. George
[signature]
Hey George,

Call Seeker fishin rods. I know that they make a couple of blanks called the Ulua. I have seen one that was 10 foot but they may have something longer than that. If I recall correctly, the 10 footer was rated 30-60...I think.

GOod luck.
[signature]
Hey Milo: How about one of those on the Horseshoe where we slaughtered the Calicos. Let's go, it's about time and the squid are near. George
[signature]
[Smile]I'm ready!!! Let me know when you wanna go!!!
[signature]