Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chatfield 4/21
Got to Chatfield around 10 am this morning. With the cold front that was pushing through I wanted to fish closer to home and not risk getting skunked a long way from home.

Well I couldn't have made a better decision. This was my third time there and I had mainly fished the dam area. So this time armed with my lake map and after reading an article in this months "Walleye -in Sider" about walleye movement after the spawn. I planned to fish several humps close to spawing areas and the road bed.

The lake was 56 degrees and there was a light chop on the water, but bright skies. I marked a hump of 14.5 ft with 19 on the edges. I was fishing with my go to grub for walleye. Black with a chartruse tail. First I tipped it with a flathead minnow 4 cast later a 17" little guy came to the boat. In the first two hours I had caught eight fish all under the slot. At about 1 the wind came up and I switched to drop shotting a worm over the road bed drifting. Mr walleye came knocking again three times, but no keepers. So I tried switching to a large swimbait no luck and then pulled crankbaits for 40 minutes same results. I think that I might have to resort to spearfishing to get a legal fish in this lake.

I like Chatfield and it has a good population of walleye, but I will have to let it get above 60 degrees to get my keeper. It was a great day on the water!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Chatfield 4/21 - by UtahPescador - 04-22-2005, 03:05 AM