Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here's the magical moment you all have been waiting for... (It's official!)
at least that is at least reserved for all walleye purists and addicts alike! Yuba may be gone for now, but WE ARE NOW.....(DRUM ROLLS AND GET OUT THE POPCORN AND THROW IT LIKE CONFETTI) JORDANELLE IS ON THE WALLEYE MAP!!!!!

I just got off the phone with Dr. Richard Hepworth who is a fish biologist for the state of Utah out of Central Utah Region office. He is a very friendly and cordial guy, extremely helpful with my questions and additional information concerning walleyes in Jordanelle.

He said they (DWR) first found a few walleyes in their gillnetting studies in 1997.

Since then, they have found a few more here and there over the years.

It has been 8 years since the first discovery... can you imagine what it has been doing since then? Think of what they have been eating... perch, trout, suckers, chubs etc...

He said there are monster walleyes in there... he also did say they would be extremely difficult to catch due to the lake's structure and topography.

He said walleyes population will soon take over the entire lake.... (sorry trout purists) and eventually will have a boom and bust cycle just like any other walleye lake (this is true).

As for where they are... well I do know but I think I am privy to that information since I haven't checked out several spots where they would be found and caught... just use your walleye intuition and let that be your guide.

I will be spending all my waking fishing hours at my X office all this year and the years ahead... Tomegun, I get the corner office with the the window view, move over!!!
[signature]
Walleyes in lake "X"..WOW what a ending to this saga.Thats great news for us EYE fisherman.We need more EYE lakes anyway.I guess I will start running bottom bouncers up there now .!!! For all of those trout fisherman there is always strawberry you can fish at.[Wink][Wink]
[signature]
[reply]
For all of those trout fisherman there is always strawberry you can fish at.[Wink][Wink] [/reply]

Only until walleye get dropped in there also by the know it all BB's.

I don't care if Jordanelle doesn't have trout, I never considered it a trout fishery anyway, even if I have caught some nice ones out of there. Walleye are not very easy to catch with a fly rod, so here is my question. What would the impact of walleye have on the smallmouth? I'm anxious to get out there and fish for some smallies with my new depth charged sinking line.
[signature]
i gave up seriously fishing jordanelle a few years ago. i fish mostly for trout...and their are still some nice ones in their. but, the skiiers and pwc people make it impossible. i trolled it a month ago and caught a few nice rainbows...but that will be my last trip this year. like you said, we can fish strawberry!

good luck fishing for the eyes though! personally i think their are more "trout" lakes that could benefit from walleye being introduced. as long as the bows are planted bigger they fare just fine. look at deer creek- their are some real hawg bows in their! i hope that you can have success and deal with the people!
[signature]
HUMMM WALLEYE'S IN LAKE X ALL THOSE LITTLE PERCHIES WILL MAKE GREAT FOOD FOR THEM. I WONDER WHAT ELSE WILL TURN UP IN THAT LAKE. LOCK NESS MAYBE [Wink]
[signature]
Look at Deer Creek, they live together and coexist with each other. I think there is so much food in Jordanelle that they will be alright. It's a very deep lake with the deepest around 225 feet so there's plenty of room for both species.
[signature]
PAUL ARE YOU REFERRING TO WALLEYES AND LOCK NESS OR WALLEYES AND SMALL MOUTH I WAS JUST WONDERING. PERSONALLY I THINK ALL THREE WOULD BE NICE. LOCK NESS YOU WOULD TROLL WITH A WATER SKIER TO HOOK HIM LOL[Wink]
[signature]
I've been fishing walleye for about two years now and I agree. If Im driving to jordanelle for trout I always end up passing it and going to strawberry. On the other hand I really want to start fishing jordanelle for smallies, it sounds like it would be a lot of fun and theres a lot in there
[signature]
Hey thats great news if i can ever make it up to fish lake x, just think, next state record smallie, and walleye may just come from the very same lake.
[signature]
Icono -- good to hear you got hold of Richard.

[reply]
Hey thats great news if i can ever make it up to fish lake x, just think, next state record smallie, and walleye may just come from the very same lake.[/reply]

Too bad walleye will eventually be the demise of a world class smouthmouth fishery...
[signature]
DANG THAT DEEP... TO HECK WITH NESSY WHAT ABOUT LAKERS. THAT WOULD BE TO COOL. ALL THE MACS ARE SO FAR FROM SLC. MAN THAT WOULD BE NICE.
[signature]
PBH,
I dont think it will be the end of a great smallie fishery if the EYEs take a strong hold. There is enough bait fish and crawdads in that lake to feed both. The only reason why deer creek smallies are small is there isnt enough natural bait fish and cover.The DWR messed D.C. up whne they didnt watch the perch population decline.What i dont understand is why they dont plant shiner minnows or shad or some othe kind of bait fish to feed the preditors in D.C. or even yuba instead of having perch be the main prey.the shinners have helped the berry out and look at the fish up there.EYES and smallies can coexisit with each other.Look at the canadian lakes and MN lakes and even great lakes that have both fish and they are plentifuk and have trophys in each.Thats my 2 cents worth![Wink][Wink]
[signature]
not trying to get into an argument -- just discussion....

First, the DWR did not screw up DC by not watching the perch population decline. The guy that dumped a bucket load of Walleye into DC screwed up DC. You cannot continue to stock forage for a predator like walleye.

Jordanelle will go the same rout as most other walleye fisheries in Utah. Boom, bust, boom, bust. They will bring the perch population to its knees. The smallmouth will suffer and decline.

The big difference between Utah, and Canada/MN/Great Lakes region is evolution. Those fish evolved together in those areas. Those places are designed by old mother nature to compensate for those fish. You see it with all types of animals. When non-native species are introduced, it throws the whole system for a loop. Overpopulation is a very common problem with non-native species.

Limits are something else to think about. Should the DWR have a limit on a species that was introduced illegally? Why protect something that is not supposed to be there? If it were up to me, I would lift the limits on DC and (eventually) Jordanelle for Walleye. Keep 'em all.

One last thing, and I'll put the stirring stick down....

I listed a bunch of Walleye waters earlier. Some of you edited my list. Yuba is a designated walleye water, yet the walleye guys left it off the list. Why? Yuba is just in a typical walleye down-cycle. You guys don't want to claim it when it's bad, but I'm sure in a few years when the cylce turns up, you'll be claiming it then!!!

"OK, I've cast out the bait. Now, we just have to wait for a bite!"
[signature]
THE EYES DID NOT SCEW UP ANYTHING IN ANY LAKE OR RES. LMAO... LOW WATER DID. PEACH CANT REPRODUCE WHEN COVER IS NOT PRESANT OR UDER WATER.... IF THE WATER TABLE IS CONTROLLED ALL FISH BENNAFIT... AND RECREATE MOORE BAITFISH YR AFTER YR... HENCE BOOM OR BUST. ITS THE BAITFISH THAT CONTROLL THE PREDITORS NOT THE OTHER WAT AROUND. AND IF THE DWR WOULD CATCH SOME CHUBS FROM OTHER WATERS AND DROP THEM IN STARVATION THEIR WILL BE OTHER YR CLASSES OF CHUBS. AND WHY NOT BUILD SOME PONDS ALONG THE LAKE FOR REPRODUCING CHUBS. OYA THERE NOT TROUT. DWR SAVES THOSE PROJECTS FOR TROUT. ARE WALLEYE TAX DALLORS MEAN JUST AS MUCH THE TROUT GUYS TAXES BUT WE GET NONE BACK FOR ARE BODIES OF WATER, EX YUBA. THEY SHOULD DO THE SAME AT DC. BUILD ANOTHER DAM OR DIKE ACROSS DC FROM THE ISLAND TO THE WEST SIDE AND CONTROLL THE WATER IN THE WEEDS SO THE PEACH CAN SPAWN EVERY YR. THIS WOULD ASSIST ALL THE FISH THAT SWIM THERE.
[signature]
The UDWR would gladly plant additional bait fish in certain waters (gizzard shad in Yuba for example) if they were allowed to do so. The days that the UDWR can plant whatever species of fish, wherever they choose are long gone.
[signature]
Here's one more... Dr. Hepworth will send me information in an email next week regarding gillnetting studies results. It will have information on their diet, and how many eyes caught in each pull-ups, weight/size, and depth/location where conducted in Jordanelle. When I get the the goodies from him, I will let you all know about the "state of the union" situation...
[signature]
I SAY WE CALL THE LOCK NESS NELLIE AFTER THE LAKE
[signature]
[reply]
...What i dont understand is why they dont plant shiner minnows or shad or some othe kind of bait fish to feed the preditors in D.C. or even yuba instead of having perch be the main prey... [/reply]

I agree it would be nice. But one of the main reasons this is so difficult is because of federal regulations regarding the "introduction of non-native species". The tree huggers don't like it, and there are all kinds of hoops and red tape that have to be jumped through and over in order to get "permission". Unfortunately this usually ends up killing the proposal due to administration cost or whatever reason. The DWR once wanted to put gizzard shad in Yuba, and were actually in the planning stages of the project (according to Tom P.), but were apparently never able to make it happen. Too bad.

[walleye]
Well I hope you are happy wile it last the BOOM & BUST cycle will come as soon as the walleye take over then the trout will be, but the perch will be gone the walleye will be very thin or dead the smalles will all be small not 5 or 6 lb or bigger like now think and look at the real life, Yuba Starviton Deer creek and now Jordanelle. Where are they going to get the perch for Yuba the next time, Deercreek ? Well the last time I fished for eyes there they were small, and you are happy with that???????[pirate][pirate][pirate]
[signature]
Jumping jesophat!!! Will wonders ever cease?! I just got a email from Dr. Hepworth asking me to go with him on a gillnet study on May 5th at Jordanelle. I will be the first-hand witness to the walleye carnage!!!! Yahooooooooooo....

I will be personally posting results of that expedition.
[signature]