Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help in figuring out a type of fish?
OK...I didn't take a picture of the fish. We live on a 4 acre community pond

and I usually catch catfish, bass, crappie and bream out of our pond. I

caught something tonight that I had never caught before.

It wasn't a really big fish but the fish was sort of long and really silver. He was

probably around 1 pound or so, maybe 10 inches long.

He had one dorsal fin that ran from the middle of his back, close to his tail. His dorsal fin

was really long. he had a fish on the bottom back near the tail and two fins up front on the bottom.

Anyone have any idea what type of fish this might have been?

he was really silver.

one long dorsal fin

I have hooked another fish that resembles this one but much larger. The big one has

broken my line twice. The big one that I have hooked is also very silver looking.

Sure wish I would have took a pic of him.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
[signature]
with out seeing the fish I would say it is a cisco

nice fighters flesh a little soft when filetting and prity as a silver dollar.

I will try to find a pic of a cisco and post it here for you to Identify in the next day or so.

the ones I catch are about 15-20 inches in lenth. I dont usaly target them till the lake frezes over and I can sit on top of my bucket.
[signature]
This fish looked just like a carp. But he was silver all over. I had never seen a fish that silver before.

I live in Middleburg, FL. Which is between Jacksonville and St. Augustine FL.

He put up a fight to be so little.
[signature]
[center][Image: carp.jpg][/center][center]Carp[/center] [center][Image: striped_bass_hybrid.jpg][/center] [center]hybrid stripe bass[/center] [center][Image: white_bass.jpg][/center] [center][font "Arial"][#663300]COMMON NAME:[/#663300] WHITE BASS [/font][font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"][#663300]OTHER NAMES:[/#663300][/font][font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"] SILVER BASS[/font][/center] [center][Image: striped_bass.jpg][/center] [center][font "Arial"][#663300]COMMON NAME:[/#663300] STRIPED-BASS [/font][font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"][#663300]OTHER NAMES:[/#663300][/font][font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"] STRIPER[/font][/center] [center][Image: freshwater_drum.jpg][/center] [center][font "Arial"][#663300]COMMON NAME:[/#663300] FRESHWATER DRUM [/font][/center] [center][font "Arial"][#663300]OTHER NAMES:[/#663300] SHEEPHEAD, GRUNTER, SILVER BASS, GRAY BASS[/font][/center] [center][Image: striped_bass_hybrid.jpg][/center] [center][font "Arial"][#663300]COMMON NAME:[/#663300] HYBRID STRIPED BASS-(STRIPED BASS-x WHITE BASS HYBRID) [/font][/center] [center][font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"][#663300]OTHER NAMES:[/#663300][/font][font "Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"] WIPER, SUNSHINE BASS[/font][/center] [center][font "Arial"][size 1]I am still looking for a cisco to show you but in the mean time which of these resemble what you saw most?[/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Arial"][size 1]All of these fish other than the carp on top is silvr like tincle on a christmas tree[/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Arial"][size 1]a cisco is too and I will post it here for you as soon as I find one[/size][/font][/center]
[signature]
He looked alot like the freashwater drum. Tinsel on a christmas tree is a great describstion of his color. I was out fishing in the back yard at about 7:00am this morning and saw another fish that looked like the one I caught, but much bigger. I was catching some bream up near the bank and the water just exploded. I guess he was feeding on the small fish around the bank. I am carrying my digital camera outside with me now, if I catch another one I will post a pic.

This guy in our community has a boat and fishes the st. johns river alot. There are fresh and saltwater fish in the st johns. he said he has put over a 1000 fish in our pond.

The biggest I have caught has been a 12 pound catfish and a 3 pound bass.

I have also hooked one of those big silver fish(whatever he is) and he has snapped 20 pound test like it was a piece of thread.
[signature]
We have caught drums up here out of Lake St Clair in Michigan waters, although the flesh is a little soft it is white and tasty.

We have seen them getting close to 30 pounds not quite as big as a carp but they are certainly up there.

On that camera thing, boy do I wish I had had a camera on all my fishing trips.

You want to talk about missed opportunities for some great photo shot possibilities, leaving the camera at home is the best way to do that.

Today’s technology sure has provided some new enjoyments to the sport of fishing; the camera is one that has followed fishing for as long as personal cameras became available. And look what they can do today. You can take a picture of a just caught trout in the middle of your favorite stream and send a fishing report in a matter of minutes along with the pic to your buddies who didn’t think the fish was biting today. Or have the pic ready on your computer waiting for you to walk in the door and print it.

I have never taken a pic of my sheep heads (what we call them in this side of the woods) never thought that it would be worth any thing. Now I wished I had taken pics of every fishing trip.I will be looking forward to seeing one,
[signature]
Just an idea, but it sounds an awful lot like a Buffalo to me. They look alot like Carp, only are silver in color.
[signature]
I realize this is going to sound like I escaped from a nuthouse, but it could be an escapee from a military experimentation station. Many years ago, the military were trying to make a fish that would disrupt the food chain in several middle-eastern countries. The original fish had its DNA altered to make it more aggressive in claiming portions of a lake for its own, attacking anyone and anything that intruded on its territory. The hibrid largemouth bass is a good example. Its DNA was altered to make it grow faster and be more agressive. Anyone who has been attacked by one of these monsters know what I'm talking about, they are mean.
From the little information I've been able to find on the subject, the US Fish and Game Dept contracted with the Army to make a common carp feed aggressively on the plants infecting Lake Victoria in Africa. The reasoning was for the carp to reduce the plant growth and allow the lake to return to its natural state. Whether it worked or not, I don't know but it certainly sounds like the Army let one of their experiments excape into the wild.[Wink]
The military has always been trying to find ways to disrupt natural food and weather patterns, something we ordinary citizens never hear about. However, unless the project is classified, we don't know what our taxpayer money is being spent on. On the rare occasions when we do find out, the info is printed in DARPA abstracts, open for all to read.
So, my conclusion is -- the fish is an experiment gone wrong and should be put out of its misery.[Wink]
[signature]
[center][sly] [size 2]where is Scullie and Moulder when you need them [sly].[/size][/center] [center][crazy] Johnny this report is one for the X Files. [crazy][/center]

You do bring a valid point up to mind with this comment, and that is if we do not find a way to make and keep the peace on this puddle of water with all our neighbors we will soon find our selves in the need of saving from wars, pollutions and lack of environments do to human over population. [unsure]
[signature]
Glad you didn't take me seriously. Sometimes people have a difficult time figuring out that I'm not being serious.
As for over-population, it will come the day when the necessities of life will be rationed out; food, water, air, land. And here's where I really get my short hairs in an uproar -- foreign aid. We're sending billions of dollars worldwide to combat hunger and homelessness when it should be kept right here at home. Unfortunate as it is, thousands of children go hungry every day right here in the good old U S of A, one of the richest countries in the world. All because our past, and present, Presidents didn't have the gonads to say no to every hand held out. Our own government number-crunchers have said that if we cut out foreign aid for three years, we'd be out of debt and operating on the plus side.
Sorry, got off track again.
[signature]
hi, possably a gizzard shad. first thought cisco till you said looked like a drum.
Don Pfeiffer
[signature]
[#0066cc]DARPA also sent back after developing through genetic engineering a killer Cyborg Pleco.Poisonous spikes on its pectoral fins carry leathal doses of radiation! Its NUCLEAR!.
Not even the Waters are safe with the killer DARPA Cyborg Pleco From the Future!.
Time Traveling Cyborg pleco!

[Image: mqdefault.jpg?v=5139682f]
[Image: pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif][/url]
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr7i3EGmIx0"]Bio Hazardous DARPA Cyborg Pleco![/url][/#0066cc]
Handle with care
Tongue
[signature]