Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke pole hunting for Elk
[unsure][size 3]I have been Elk hunting for a week now with my muzzle loader. This being my second muzzle loader elk hunt. I have hunted deer the last couple of year and have taken a couple of bucks but I am still pretty green at the sport. I have discovered a few things during this week that I always relized but ignored. First thing is muzzle loaders don't have the range of my 300 win which is hard to get out of your head after hunting with the 300 all my life. So I relized I need a range finder but I'm not really sure what to buy I've been looking at the Lieka and it looks alright but it's a little to much money. Does anybody own any range finders and what do you like or dislike about it. I also found out that a 250 grain bullet dose not have much energy at 200 yards what bullet do you guys recomend for shooting Elk and what's your reason. I shoot a Thompson 250 grain ptx which has been excellent on deer but after tracking the elk I shot for over two miles and never catching up to him I don't think that its all that great for Elk. [/size]
[signature]
I know bushnell has a reputation for lower quality but the range finders may be good enough. Nikon makes a few. But what ever you decide, just shoot your deer on the archery hunt so I can borrow your rangefinder for my rifle hunt.
Skeeter2,

Curious what state you do your elk hunting in?? I live in southern CA but have hunted deer/elk in SW Colorado 4 of the last 8 years, always alone and on foot.

Colorado doesn't allow sabots, scopes, or pellets, so I hunt with an open sighted 54 cal, about 110 grains of BP, and whatever 350+ grain bullet has been giving best accuracy (usually home cast lee bullets). My range is limited more by open sights and poor ballistics than bullet energy.

No hunt this year, but in the 4 seasons I managed 3 deer and 2 good opportunities for elk. One elk lost to a simple misfire after a long day in the rain; the other to range misjudgement. In the fog I estimated 125yards and held at the top of his back; actual range paced to 75 yards so the bullet was 3 inches high. (Someday I'll learn to just aim at what I want to hit). A rangefinder, assuming it would lock on under the circustances would have saved the day.

My very limited experience suggests that quickness and solid lock on under adverse conditions are critical factors. Sorry to hear about your lost elk..what a heartbreaker..

Jerry
[signature]
Fishinfool59 I live and hunt in Utah. We can still use sabots and a 1X scope but I still use open sights. I just don't understand why we can't use a higher power scope. You could make a cleaner kill and propbly be less likley to loose your animal. It's hard for me to believe they won't let you use sabots. Sabots are the only way to go. Next thing you know the'll make you hunt with round balls boy that will be a nightmare.
[signature]
SKEETER2, Bushnell's Yardage Pro 400 is an excellent tool. I also own their 1000 model. For just all around hunting, the 400 will serve you well, and the price is right. Just do some checking around as good deals are available. Shoot bullets that pattern well with your M/L. Most M/L bullets punch holes and leave little blood. My advice is to go for the shoulder on Bulls or the neck on close range shots (under 50 yards). By breaking the shoulder, you'll usually get into the vitals, possibly sever the main artery in the shoulder, and be able to track your Elk much better. I like Harvester solids. They are known to penetrate Elk for full pass throughs. Barnes X bullets are good for those who insist on behind the shoulder "lung shots." They do a lot of tissue damage. However, shoot the bullet that performs the best in your M/L. Accuracy is paramount on Elk as they are very tough animals. Their tenacity is amazing. I also recommend magnum loads in either BP or Pyrodex etc. Good hunting, Ghost
[signature]
Be careful James those are famous last words. Has anybody tried out the Leica range finder I'm just curious if it is worth the money. Thanks for all the input SKEETER
[signature]