Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bubbleup Report Wed Eve 5-4-05
[cool][#0000ff]Sneaked out of work early to meet up with a bad crowd at Lindon/Bubbleup. CBR was already out on the pipeline when I arrived about 3:30. I was launched by 4 and hung a small white bass in about two feet of water not far from the dike on the way out. Got another in 3 feet within a hundred yards.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had been dragging a big minnow on the bottom, while casting a white marabou roadrunner jig. No takers on the bait and CBR announced on the radio that he had just landed his second walleye. I brought in the bait and pedaled my wagon toward the growing string of boats (see pic).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water temp was 67.5 when I launched and warmed a couple of degrees before I finally went in about 7:30. Air temp was mid 60's at launch and a balmy 70 as I hit the road to go home.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Being a sportsman and a gentleman, I kicked my tube well around the outside boat at the end of the string. The last boat brought in a small walleye as I passed and they tried to hide it as they boated it. I had just gotten well past them when I got a hard whack on my white marabou roadrunner again, only this time it had shoulders. Who says walleye don't fight. This post spawn mama kicked my (behind) for several minutes. I even thought I might have had a cat on for a minute.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I scooped her into the net, I couldn't see my jig. She had snarfed it. (see pic). I released her unharmed into my basket. I had come for a walleye dinner. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About that time, Mikecromaine and Out4trout came on the scene...Mike acting as a pushing tugboat with O4T riding backwards in front. Mike kept trying to talk to me on the radio as I has subduing my walleye and taking pictures. Danged kids just got no couth.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since I had my dinner, I left the gathering to the others and departed slowly back toward the car. I dragged both minnows and carp meat as an enticement for a kitty or two. Had three or four "pickups" but nothing was serious.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I approached my takeout point about 7:30, the carp were rolling something fierce in the shoreline reeds. In fact, I almost got in the middle of a travelling carp orgy as I was pushing my tube in through the last bit of brush to get out. Get out the bows, guys.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I taped and weighed the walleye, it was 26" and 5.5 pounds. I have caught walleye that weighed almost twice that much for the same length. It was trying to put the weight back on though. When I took off the first fillet, I saw a major lump in its gut. It turned out to be an 8" bullhead. I know they feed on them a lot after spawning. I used to do real well fishing big walleyes with big black marabous and plastics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I left before the other guys did, so I don't know how they finished up. I guess they will post their own reports.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice report there TubeDude. I didn't know eye's would eat cats! I've got a few running round the yard that might work well[Wink]
[signature]
Hey TD,
Thanks for the report & the pics. Now, Tell me how to work this "Sneakin out of work early" stuff, I need to give it a try [sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey TripleM, if I knew how to do that all the time, I could retire rich, as a consultant. As a matter of fact, I would probably be retired by my employer...who is a consultant (computers).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There is an old saying: "If you can't find time, make time". If you're a fisherperson, you gotta be a little more creative. If you have an employer who is a good family-oriented person, there are a lot of potential excuses you can use (sick child or spouse, death in the family, etc.). Just be careful you don't use the "grandma's funeral" excuse more than once (or twice).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course, you can always play "Let's Make a Deal" with the boss, and offer to work extra hours to make up for the absence. But unlike FISH, WORK is a four letter word we don't like to have to use too often.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD, as only the unique voice of James Earl Jones could reiterate the words "may the force be with you," it looks as though you had your light saber (uh walleye stick) working for you yesterday. Nice catch and hope the house is neat and tidy when the mrs. returns home..."oh great one."
[signature]
Glad to hear you got a mama to bite!

I anchored up at the bubble-up and didn't have to move for several hours until 5-6 rolled around and the preasure out there got bad so I departed and tried to find where the crappie were hiding. No Luck, The Marina was full of spawning carp and they had scared all the crappie out of the marina.

I spoke to several anglers who reported catching several largemouth bass in the shallows north of the marina. One was even a nice whopping 7 lbs.

I ended up with 2 skinny mama walleye, one 19 inches and one 23 inches, a nice 4-5 lb channel cat and 5 bullheads
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Here is my report. We made it to the boat harbor and the carp were having an orgy all over the place. Splashing and doing there thing. I decided I’d see if I could get a couple for bait. Nailed one at 6.5lbs and one around 4lbs.[/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]After that fun I made my way out of the marina and meet up with Geoff on his tube a pushed him out to the bubble up. What a sight to behold the whole north side of the bubble up was lined up neck to neck with boats. So I decided I would fish the south side of the bubble up. As sure as Geoff is a master puker ( tell you more about that in a min.) a boat (bayliner) pulls up right on me. Talk about being crowded out of your spot. The boat owner says am I in your way. I said I think you drifted right on me. He moves 5 ft away. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Well needless to say I didn’t get an eye but the bayliner did over and over again. A little later after having to move I landed a mudder. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]After awhile of watching everyone but me and Geoff land walleye’s we decided to head towards the marina. Trolled on the way in and landed the smallest white bass of my life. Then proceeded to let him go while showing CBR my catch. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]We trolled outside the marina and ended up with Geoff (out4trout) landing a nice branch in the wazoo. That was so funny!!!!! After that we went to pack up. While packing up I landed anther mud cat. [/size][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Driving home after grabbing some dinner Geoff (out4trout) got this feeling from deep in side him. No not feeling of love. Respect or a day of nice weather. These feeling were one of the worst you could imagine. Feelings of being sick, he then proceeded to puke all over my car inside and out.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Man what a great fishing buddy, you out fish him he gets back at you. Warning sprite and chicken are not good to feed Geoff’s![/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Well after a bath for my car inside and out I made it home with a feeling of ahhhhhh in my head. I ended up with nightmares all night long. Thanks so much for a memorable fishing trip and nightmares Geoff. What a buddy, friend and kick in the pants.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I thought those sharp pectoral fins were supposed to keep that sort of thing from happening to the baby cats?! I guess their only purpose must be to pop float tubes.
[signature]
Nice report .... but I was the boat at the end of the string and there was no hiding of that fish involved [angelic]. And I did enjoy watching your battle with that walleye ....while trying to ignore all the chatter on your radio - I was getting quite the chuckle out of it!
But I thought you were trying to hide that fish as you snuck it into your basket [cool].
sk8heaven
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Apparently walleyes have long ago discovered that mudcats (bullheads) are a good source of fat and protein, to rebuild energy stocks lost during the spawn. I have caught walleyes with those stickery little guys in them for many years, mostly right after the spawn and before there are lots of other small fish...like the fry of carp, white bass AND baby walleyes to munch on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]They learn to deal with them, by munching their pectoral fins flat and swallowing them head first...as the one was that I recovered from my wallie last night. I also suspect they chomp them hard a few times, to kill them, before swallowing, so that they do not thrash around inside. When they are feeding on bullheads, they strike hard, as the one did last night. When I fish them with big black jigs, the strikes are never delicate, like when you troll them with a slow crawler on a bottom bouncing rig.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey bro, howdy and welcome to the board. I was being a bit facetious about the secrecy thing. Believe me, I respect being a bit stealthy when you bag a walleye. Why heck, I have actually witnessed other anglers (not sportsmen) pull up and come over to join a successful fisherman, and try to help them out by anchoring right on top of the honey hole.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No criticism from me. And, if you recall, I was not turned away from you when I deposited my fishy in the basket. However, I also did not hold it up and holler a lot, to attract unwanted attention from the "crowding cruisers".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you enjoyed the "cheap entertainment". We have much fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, how did you guys finish up last night?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Mike, great visuals. Poor Geoff. Do you suppose your driving (pontoon and/or car) might have had something to do with Geoff's distress?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, on the boats in California that is known as "Capistrano Syndrome"...return of the swallows. Get it? I guess you already did. Glad it was you and not me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey TubeDude,
The whole hiding thing was in fun [Wink]. No, you weren't hiding it at all [Smile]. We (well, I ... my girlfriend still hasn't quite got the hang of it - but she'll get it) finished with two 19 inchers and a 25 incher. Yum! But my luck stopped when - pretty much like mikecromaine- had a boat park about 20 yards away - - right where I had been catching them [Sad]. (wasn't the same evil Bayliner he encountered - but I did grab their bobber a couple times right next to my boat to give them a little thrill [Tongue].)
Still was fun. Now that I know who you (and a few others from this site) are, I will be sure to say hi next time!
[signature]
Glad to hear you that your not the bayliner and you enjoyed us on our radio's, with all of us haveing them I am sure you heard us load and clear.
But i do have a question is it ok to hook someone in a boat if they steal your stop by parking on your rear end. Now that would be a fight to remember." I hooked I 6ft dumbbass on 8 lb test". Man that was a fight they are so fun to catch [Wink]
[signature]
I think hooking them is legal .... but I am not so sure how they would look as a mount on your wall - and they are probably so thick skinned you would never be able to fillet them!
I know the your "bayliner buddy" and my "close neighbor" both had kids in the boat so it would have been pretty crass to say anything - but it is unfortunate that they are not teaching their kids to respect the space of other fisherpersons.
[signature]
Isnt using catfish for bait illegal! Fess up TD what was really attached to that jig![Tongue]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Aw shucks Cesar, I din't think ya was watchin'. I din't think ya would mind if I sneaked one of yer little muddies to use fer bait.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BUSTED!!!!!!![/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Sorry about the "re-decorating" job to your Intrepid, Mike. I was hanging my head outside your car, but we were going so dang fast that some of it blew back in. Man that was NASTY. Your are a good sport, and are a very patient dude, man! At first, I thought it was a combo of me not eating much at all that day (low blood sugar) and your wild driving, but it was this damn 'ole 36 hour kick your arse stomach flu! Got it from my daughter who had it on Monday night/Tuesday. Funny that she always gets sick the day after going to church!![pirate][pirate] Makes me want to start worshipping at the church of the 7th day angler instead!

Anyhooters, I don't wish that flu crap on my worst enemy (well, maybe on those jerks that were crowding us all out!). Anyway, as always, even though I didn't catch any eyes, I think I learned stuff that will help me out next trip, although, with how popular the bubble up seems to be getting, I think I might hit Lincoln next time. Seriously, I'll bet if there were 10 fishing crafts there on a weekday evening, that there'll be AT LEAST 25 of them there this Saturday and Sunday. Too close for comfort for me.
[signature]
[pirate]Oh yeah, forgot to mention that this stomache flu bug that's going around is super freakin' contagious, man! Hope none of you guys get it. Makes ya worship the porcilen god, and also makes you wish you were dead! After I got home that night, my wife got it the next day at about noon at her work. Well, the previous night, my wife had been up at her folks house in Layton and well, last night, they got it too, and my wife hadn't even had any symptons of it yet when she was at their house. Then the next night her parents get it. Nasty stuff this thing is.
[signature]
[cool]It did, it did!!!!! That Mike drives like Steve McQueen in that old Mustang of his![Tongue] Too bad I didn't get sick earlier. That ralphing probably would have made a heck of a chum, LOL!!
[signature]