Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3/4 day Premier Trip 4/5 Local
Hey there guys,

Went out on the 3/4 day Premier. 19 anglers made the trip to Horeshose and PV waters. Danny skippered the boat with Jimmy helping out on deck. John and Bill were in the galley for the usual great food the latest fishing conditon info.

Started at 6am as the Premier is now on their Summer schedule. Had a good tank of anchovies and sardines for those elusive, yet snappy barracuda we've all be hearing about the last few days. So the plan was to try to score on the barracuda if they had an AM bite and do some rock fishing to round out the catch later.

Weather was overcast and clamy cold with the sun finally breaking thru in the early afternoon. Water seemed pretty clean but there was quite a bit of current to contend with most of the day.
Fished both the Horseshoe Kelp and up close to the kelp off Palo Verde (PV) for a pretty tough day of fishing. That is .... a lot of fishing and moderate catching...... of legals.

Action was steady on various rock fish and of course everyone got the one salmon grouper allowed under current regs. We got pretty good action on a few legal barracuda but no matter where we moved the fish were mostly short. Fact is ... we moved and found fish a couple of times and left them biting as Danny, being the conservationalist he is, refuses to stick around a bite and do nothing but catch short fish when it appears that's gonna be the grade of fish brought to the boat.

The fish were at least 95% jig fish fron what I could tell. I got hit on both all white but mostly blue/purple and white. Most consistant color was a greenish yellow but not a scranbked egg combo. Cramked fast, slow, up and down the water column, and yo yoing with no real pattern emerging... for me anyways !!

Barracuda seemed really skittish and would have little to do with even a fly-lined anchovie, sardine, or (duhhh) plastics. Seems like if there's good, live bait in the water, often the cuda might hit the jigs but they are less likely to hit the plastics. Actually got a few bumps on the green metal flake 4 inch Kalins. Heard the clear w/red metalflake wham/blam/thank-you-maams got pretty consistant results.

We moved in and out off PV in both the morning and afternoon scratching for a few fieh here and there. Got our keeper barracuda in the early afternoon. Alltogether, not a bad day.

Good trip, great boat, super crew .....going again Friday if weather permits !

One comment on reservations: If you reserve a spot on an open-party boat a couple of days in advance, check the landing's office late in the day or early evening ..... the day before you're to go as....... I've been left at the alter more than once !! Lot's of fun not being called on a cancellation and watching the sun come up on a beautful day and no boat.

tsurikichi
[signature]
Hey JR. Nice report. It's good to see that the barries are finally comeing back home.

It's too bad about the pencils and cigars. Given time, the logs will roll.

My son and I were left at the altar a few times at different landings. I made a new arrangement with Ciscos. If for some reason they don't go out and forget to call me, I get a free pass.

On the other hand, If I make a reservation and cancel without calling in, I pay double for the next ride.[cool]
[signature]
Why you ... you ducky murderer !!

Just joking. The truth is I have an adopted duck couple at Cerritos Regional Park that know me and the sound of my truck door slamming and they come paddling or waddling up the slope to meet me when I go to fish there. They are so cute and husband and wife too.

They come and rub there heads against my legs when I'm sitting on a bench to rig up! Being enticed by some nice tidbits of course !!

Going to fish Catalina tomorrow and will make my report. Sand bass are not due till June with July being the primo period according to those who are supposed to know. Check the SD count and watch the rush up toward us. Truth is .... the best fishing last year for the sand bass stopped at around Newport last year and we got what was left.

LA 3/4 day boats were going to Newport... imagine how mad the occasional angler was at all the time spent traveling !!! Guys like me fishing 3-4 times a week didn't care!! ha ha

Check you later,

JapanRon
[signature]