Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catalina Trip 5/13
Hey there guys,

Friday the 13th Bah Humbug !

Went out on the 3/4 day Premier out of Pierpoint landing with a lite load for lot of elbow room. Had both chovies and live, as well as, frozen squid on board. Danny skippered the boat with Karl doing 2nd ticket and deck duties. Weather all day was just awesome.
Hit a couple of spots on the inside for fish but nothing spectacular so we then made the turn to the back side from the west end. We fished fairly shallow water for the calicos and sheephead. Wide open at times with 7 casts 7 fish....1 missed fish then...... 6 casts 6 fish! Fish bit on frozen just as well as the live (actually.... today I think better). ha ha

Water color was not that great anywhere but it sure looked like it was getting WSBish milky-green up near the beaches! Don't know what the problem was but fish didn't chose to chomp my Kalens like they did Wednesday. Darn ..... they can get picky sometimes when there squid. Caught a few mackerel one being a spanish mackerel ! Great chirashi ! No boneheads or cuda showed today and just a few perch came to check us out.

Next Danny headed out to deeper water where we managed some good size salmon grouper and very nice reds! Salmon Grouper took the JP. Bunch of sanddabs caught too. Excellent rock fishing with everybody pretty happpy with lots of fish to take home. No car chase on the tube on the way back from the island. Got back to the dock around 6:30pm.

Good boat, great crew, productive fishing ......and a couple of new rail buddies Gary and Mark!

JapanRon
[signature]
Wow JJ Sans,

Bluegills ..... Bluegills ...... I LOVE Bluegills especially when caught on a flyrod in a floattube. Of Course....... I would never think of eating one of the cute little creatures.

JapanRon
[signature]