Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gps usage in fishing
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Hi Friends,[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I was thinking of buying a GPS handheld device but wasn't sure if I should go for a phone with GPS or a GPS standalone device for fishing. Its a decent amount of investment, hence I thought of seeking a valuable suggestion from all of you.[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]1) What is the use of GPS in fishing( Please be detailed in how it can be useful)?[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]2) How effective it is to use GPS on phones in the fishing?[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]3) Which companies offer GPS on the phones?[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]4) Can we rent out the phones with GPS on it?[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]5) I have only heard of some standalone GPS devices from companies like Garmin, Magellan. But I guess there must be some companies which are offering GPS on the phones. Are you aware of any famous carriers/ wireless service providers which are offering GPS on the phone.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]6) which are the biggest forums for fishing in USA?[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]I am really sorry to bog you down with so many questions. But your Suggestions and insights and experience can help me out. Hence waiting for your valuabele comments.[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]Thanks,[/font][/size]
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]GFL[/font][/size]
[signature]
1. If you're an ocean fisherman or fish large freshwater lakes and don't have a GPS, you're an amatuer. GPS's allow you to mark structure, holes, and secret "hotspots." GPS map/chart plotters also are detailed and programable with local reef and inlet numbers; most with color display. They tell you how to get were you want to go, how long it will take you to get there, and just about any other info a skilled skipper would need to know.

2. My question is why the heck would you want a GPS cell phone? that wouldn't make any sense. Where else are you going to use a GPS other than on a boat? You'd be spending money on something silly just to have a phone attached instead of taking that money and getting a quality GPS with all the bells and whistles.

3. ?????? Never heard of anyone using a phone GPS on a fishing boat.

4. Why would you want to rent a GPS? That kind of defeats the purpose a little bit.

5. Garmin makes a kick ass GPS/chart plotter. They also have an intergrated fish finder on some of the models. They can be pricey, but well worth the money. Once again, as far as the phone, I couldn't tell ya.

6. I'd say the 3 largest forums are the one you're in now, saltwater fishing and freshwater fishing.
[signature]
my thoughts are that a gps on a phone is just one more thing to drain the battery. not that it wont work good not that it isnt convient. and not that you cant cary an extra 50 dollar battery around with you....

but think about it. how many years have you held on to your last cell phone. at best I have held on to one that lasted a couple years.

a gps unit can last you a good long time and out last your phone. I would hate to have to throw a good gps unit cause the phone died...

just a thought...
[signature]
I am dubious of how much mre successful the use of a GPS could make a fishing trip unless you knew the coordinates of the fish and had some sort of boat to chase them with. Of curse when you take the boat to chase them, they will all get scared and flea.
As for the phone GPS, how does that work. I have a Kyocera K9 (Virgin Mobil Service) and it has the GPS enabled icon on the screen. I did not even know mobile phones could get GPS. I thought that symbol mean that if I get lost and dial 911 they could triangulate my position or something. A little info please![blush]
[signature]