Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oakland County 4-H Ice Fishing Derby Essays
[center]This string is for our youths of the Oakland County 4-H to post their Ice Fishing essays.[/center] [center]Remember to;[/center] [center]Select a fish (i.e. Pike, Blue Gill, Perch, Crappie, Cisco, any fish in season in the area you are fishing)[/center] [center]Describe how you will go about catching that fish through the Ice start from the beginning include things like clothing, safety, equipment and bait.[/center] [center]Describe the habitat of the fish you are targeting.[/center] [center]At the end of your essay give the name of your 4-H club.[/center] [center]Do not post your essays before December 21st [/center] [center]Do have your essays posted by January 31st.[/center] [center]You may seek help from any angler on the forum, your parents, or library; your essay must be in your own words and should be at least 100 words (punctuation and spelling will be checked)[/center] [center](Do not give out personal information to any one over the Internet)[/center] [center][url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_1711_4579-32545--,00.html"][font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000]Internet Safety - For Kids[/#000000][/font][/url][/center] [center][url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_1711_4579-10261--,00.html"][font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000]Internet Safety - For Parents[/#000000][/font][/url][/center] [center][url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_1711_4579-5270--,00.html"][font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000]Signs That Your Child May Be At Risk On-Line [/#000000][/font][/url]
[/center] [center]If there are any questions click on my name and send me a privet message[/center]
[signature]
After you have posted your essays here is another challenge I think you will enjoy.

Click on the Sturgeon and take a test to see just how much you know about winter. [center]You’ll be surprised as to the results.[/center] [center][url "http://school.discovery.com/quizzes17/bassman423/winter1.html"][Image: MESS3307CustomImage1249352.jpg][/url][/center] [center]You can have your results sent to you or your instructors at school or your 4-H leader if you know their email addresses.[/center]
[signature]
[Smile]
[signature]
[Wink][reply]
[center]This string is for our youths of the Oakland County 4-H to post their Ice Fishing essays.[/center] [center]Remember to;[/center] [center]Select a fish (i.e. Pike, Blue Gill, Perch, Crappie, Cisco, any fish in season in the area you are fishing)[/center] [center]Describe how you will go about catching that fish through the Ice start from the beginning include things like clothing, safety, equipment and bait.[/center] [center]Describe the habitat of the fish you are targeting.[/center] [center]At the end of your essay give the name of your 4-H club.[/center] [center]Do not post your essays before December 21st [/center] [center]Do have your essays posted by January 31st.[/center] [center]You may seek help from any angler on the forum, your parents, or library; your essay must be in your own words and should be at least 100 words (punctuation and spelling will be checked)[/center] [center](Do not give out personal information to any one over the Internet)[/center] [center][url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_1711_4579-32545--,00.html"][font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000]Internet Safety - For Kids[/#000000][/font][/url][/center] [center][url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_1711_4579-10261--,00.html"][font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000]Internet Safety - For Parents[/#000000][/font][/url][/center] [center][url "http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1589_1711_4579-5270--,00.html"][font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#000000]Signs That Your Child May Be At Risk On-Line [/#000000][/font][/url]
[/center] [center]If there are any questions click on my name and send me a privet message[/center] [/reply]
[signature]
My name is Logan and I am eight years old. I studied information from the library and the internet about ice fishing. My neighbor George is going to show me the right equipment to use for catching Bluegill because we can fish for Bluegill in the lakes behind my house. Bluegill are a type of panfish in the Sunfish family and they are the most common of the panfish. They got their name by the blue on their gills. Bluegill are 6 to 9 inches long and they weigh 3 to 8 ounces. Bluegill live in weedy areas in small to medium size lakes in groups.

Always have a grown-up check the ice before you go on it so you do not fall in because it is not thick enough. The clothes Iwill wear are long pants, a long sleeved shirt, snow pants, a coat, a knit hat, and gloves. I will bring sunglasses to protect my eyes from the sun because the snow is white and it will reflect the light to my eyes. A person's eyes can get burned. I will put sunscreen on so that my skin does not get burned from the sun also.

I will bring a lightweight auger or ice saw so I can make a hole in the ice. I will bring an ice hole strainer so I can get the ice chips out of the hole. The bait I will use is a spoon lure or live bait like nightcrawlers. I will bring an ice pole, preferably with a reel. I will bring a weight so that my bait goes to the bottom because the Bluegill like to stay at the bottom of the lake. The bottom of the lake is warmer than the top of the lake. I will bring a bucket to sit on and I will use the bucket to put the fish in too. I will bring a sled so I can put my equipment in it instead of having to carry it. The cost of the auger, bucket, bait, and the pole will probably come up to $88. Some people use shelters and heaters so they do not get cold.

My 4-H clubs are the N.O.I.S.E. robotics club and Class Act drama club and I really like fishing.
[size 1]the Oakland County 4-H Ice Fishing contest went off with out a hich, or should I say fish.

starting out two of our huskiest youths atempt to drill a hole through a lake with a frozen crust of hard water 24 inches to be exact.

[Image: MESS6438CustomImage0775001.jpg] after about a half hour of drilling they decided to use the 3 horse eskimo power auger on lone from lakes community chest.[Image: MESS6438CustomImage0784226.jpg] holes drilled they found keeping their holes from re-freezing over a full time job. keeping their jigs a wiggling was a good way to handle the wind chill that droped down to zero. [Image: MESS6438CustomImage0757783.jpg]Even michigan's newest member "Stormy" came out and joined in the fun. unfortunatly no one caught a fish during the tournament, a late comer ventured on the ice as I was cleaning up after my event to make sure that the pond was cleaner than when I got there, (the golden rule) he decided to show me how it was done, not two minutes in the water he is pulling up perch after perch. [Image: MESS6438CustomImage0765076.jpg] Well some guys have all the luck [cool] even though he was late he was in time to catch the fish and did not go home empty handed, plenty of prizes to go around. the best prize was being out on the ice with his dad. [/size]
[signature]
Thank you!
Great time!
beside being 7 degrees with a wind chill of 10 below zero and 20 inches of ice
the kids still had a great time tring there luck on the ice.
A special thanks going out to Davetclown and all the 4-H members to create a great time for the kids that showed up.
All day my kids wanted to go back out but the cold weather got the best of us. I hope everyone that attended had as great as time as we did.
Thanks again to every one at 4-H
[signature]