Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Baitcast reel
I am looking to buy a new bait cast reel, But I don't want to spend more than 50 dollars any suggestions, or is this unrealistic. I am not looking to fish in tournaments I just enjoy fishing as a hobby.
[signature]
[center][cool][/center][center][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]Hi there Rags110400 and welcome to the BFT. Was wondering why you were inquiring about a bait casting reel? A good spinning reel can be had for a lot less than a good bait casting reel. At least that is my opinion. They are much easier to work and more versatile. I like reels by Shimano. You can window shop by clicking on the Cabela's link at the top of this site. Do you also need a pole. It is nice to have your reel & pole be compatible with each other.[/size][/#008000][/font][/center]
[signature]
I bought a baitcast reel 2 years ago and I really enjoy it. It was a quantum combo kit I paid like 45 for both and I was just looking to upgrade to a better real. I do like open face spinning reels and I own about 4 or 5 of them. I was just looking to upgrade to a better bait cast reel the one I have now is ok for when I first started.
[signature]
[center][cool][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Have you thought about the style of reel that interest you? That is traditional or low profile?[/size][/green][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4][/size][/green][/font][/center] [center]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10109;][/center]
[signature]
I like the low profile baitcast reels
[signature]
Though I don't share Dryrod's enthusiasm, I prefer spinning reels for light tackle applications only. If you're looking to target large fish, you need a bait caster. This is why: Dryrod pointed out some very true factors as in you can purchase a decent spinning reel cheaper and they are easier to opperate. However, the drag system on a bait caster is much stronger than a spinning reels, unless you spend a considerably large amount of money on a high quality spinning outfit, which can run into the hundreds just for a reel. You can get a good quality bait caster, like an Abu Garcia 5500 or 6500 depending on your needs anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars. Don't settle for less than Abu Garcia, they have a super strong and smooth drag system, super silky casting, and a matching level of strength and durability. If I were a millionair, i'd still use my Abu's, I put that much faith in them.
[signature]
i to am a big fan of abu's i have a model 1000 baitcast reel i have been using for over ten years and it still works great wouldn't give up that reel for anything as a matter of fact heading out the door right now to go catfishing [Tongue] and you better believe it coming along laters i'm outa here
[signature]
[center][cool][/center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Believe every reel has its place in the fishing world. I do have a Shimano Bantam Curado reel which is a real neat unit. Not the most expensive bait caster around but still not cheap. When I go out tubing my gear includes a bait caster, spinning and my fly rod for sure. For sure there Rags if one had a tug of war between a bait caster and a spinning reel you would want to place your money on the former.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
I've heard nothing but good stuff about Abu's baitcasters... so much so that the last one I bought was from them. They even spooled it with 100 lb test fireline for free. Heehee!

My low-profile is a Shimano Bantam Coriolis... I'm not all that impressed with it after one year of use.
[signature]