Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
technology
Well let the dialog begin. One of the last subjects we were discussing was: What do you think has been greatest advancement in technology for the fly-fishing industry? Would it be the rod, reel, fly line or something else? Personally I think that it has been the fly line. To prove my point one of these days I am going to place my fly reel on my 9’ graphite steelhead spinning reel rod to see how far I can cast the fly line. What say you? 
[signature]
Hey there Dryrod,

You're showing your age again. Remember before the clear casting bubble became pretty much the spin-cast and spinning outfit crowds answer to the fly fishing?

I'll bet that you too ... were one of us that took a length of fly line (6 foot) with 2-3 feet of leader and fly fished. I heard some TV guy the other day talking about an 'advanced technique' of feathering the line as it came off a spinning reel spoon and I had to laugh out loud! Geez ...... how unique ! ha ha

That's exactly the way (with practiced timing) that we 'turned over' the fly. Heck..... I almost want to see if I can still do it ... naw

JapanRon
[signature]
if you realy want to make the old timers turn thier heads in shock, put your open faced spinning reel on your fly rod loaded with fly line....[shocked]

just be ready for some verbal abuse....[sly]
[signature]
Hey there dtc -have you ever try that? If so then what? 
[signature]
no I havent tryed it, but I did see a young kid on the river with that set up, and boy howdy did he get some harry eyeballs....

the only thing he gained was faster retreivals. every thing else worked the same. the reel he was using had the drag setting on the back of the reel with both dial and quick drag lever.

this allowed him to strip line out of his reel and throw the leaver when hooked up. he was fishing for atlantic salmon. now weather he knew something I didnt or if it was he just could not afford a fly reel that year.

trick is I supose is to find a spinning reel that will handle 100 feet of backer and 75 feet of fly line.

I think I will look around the house and see if I can find a spare reel and give it a shot.... see what happens...

I will take notes......
[signature]