Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp fishing
Heya guys,

Been quite a while since I posted... not really had anything to say. With two kids and two jobs, I just haven't been fishing much.

I've been targeting Carp at the ponds in Floyd Lamb state park this year. The park is 15 minutes from my house, so I can zip over there when I get a little time.

At first I wasn't doing very well, but I can consistently catch them on my fly rod now. I still have the occasional trip that I get skunked on, but I generally catch at least one, usually two or more. At first I only started fishing for them 'cause it's basically all I had time for, but I've really come to appreciate these fish. Sightfishing them with a fly rod is challenging and very akin to hunting in some respects. I also have caught quite a few fish in the double digits in weight, which is always fun.

I'm usually alone or with the children when I go after them, but I'm gonna post a picture of me and my boy with a nice carp. It's the one time I convinced the wife to go with me so it's the only picture I have.

I'm about ready to quit one of my jobs so hopefully I can get back to fishing again. I've been dying to get out to Mead and fish for some of it's carp from my pontoon boat. I don't think I'll be hitting the mountain lakes quite as often as I used to however. I just can't be away from the family that long. I did get to Comins again this year. I caught it with the upper half still frozen and the lower half ice free. I only had one day, but the fishing was great. Not quite as good as my spring trip the year before, but I got into some non stop action for several hours in the afternoon. All the fish ranged from 2 - 5lbs.

I've taken a couple of day trips to Sunnyside this year and those lakes are really producing nice fish now. The weeds aren't quite as bad in years past either. I don't know if NDOW is doing something to retard the growth, or if it's just still early in the season.

Hopefully I'll be posting again, but I go days without turning on my computer because of my time constraints.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] I know all about the family and time constraints. One of my pay stubs from last month had 163 hrs for a 2 week stretch, glad that's over. I haven't made it out to the lake as much as I'd like but now that it's getting hot out there, it's about time for a few night trips.

Take care,
David
[signature]
After I posted I rounded up the kids and went to Floyd Lamb. I only had an hour, but I got soundly skunked. The kids make it hard to effectively stalk a fish, but I had a couple of opportunities that I flat blew Smile. Oh well, it's all part of the fun. Just seeing tailing carp gets my blood pumping.

Serves me right for saying I rarely get skunked.

Later,
Mark
[signature]
Great report!
BaySport
[signature]