Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The report from bear lake.
I tore off the shackles of duck hunting for a day and hit bear lake today. If I had any skills I might have caught some fish the first half of the day. With a little training and time to groove I finally managed to pull a few fish into the boat. For the most part it was slow due to missed hits. I did manage a couple nice fish. I will post the pics up when I get them back. Most the fish were cutts. It was a very nice day to be out on the lake. Hope you guys out there today have faster action than I did. This was my first trip to bear lake for fishing rather than water sports so I dont know anything about the lake. Now its back to duck hunting. Enjoy the fishing fellas.
Predator, what did you catch them on? I'm hoping to make it Sunday. The only time I can catch fish at bear lake is threw the ice.

BearlakeMack or anybody, is jigging productive this time of year or should I troll? I would rather jigg.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It's all good. You can do both. [/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Troll for a while and jig if it's slow trolling. The mack spawn is tailing down and the fishing should pick up. I'm a jigger but trolling can be very effective too as you know. Good Luck, wish I was there![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3](edit) Try a perch pattern flatfish if you decide to troll. Add some dark flashabou to the rear hook for added action. I know a few guys that swear by them. I sat near the rockpile one morning jigging and couldn't buy a strike and watched an older gentlman and his fishing partner land 3 nice macks (one about 12 pounds), using perch flatfish, trolling along the dropoff of the rockpile. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Tubes are great for jigging but there are a lot of guys who prefer larger curly tail grubs. Vary the colors; one guy fish dark, another light until you zero in on what they want.
[/size][/font]
[signature]
I dont have any kind of lake trout selection in my tackle so I used tube jigs and storm wild eyes. The wild eyes were light and had a very slow fall on them. they were hard to read. The tube jigs have a variety of weight combinations. My fishing partner was fortunate enough to let me borrow a jig and weight combination that was effective and heavy enough to make it easier on me. I am definitley not an expirienced fisherman on bear lake. I usually troll for macks up at the gorge and we use minnow baits and spoons with an occasional spinner on downriggers.
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'd bet those wild eyes would be pretty good on the ice where you wouldn't have to fight waves and wind with lighter baits. I believe you need to fish a light as possible for the existing conditions. Most of your strikes are on the drop so it only makes since to find ways to slow the drop and maximize your "strike time". I drop 1/8 oz tube weights and use 2" long tubes on the ice a lot of times. I've used 1 1/2 oz with 5" gitzit magnums on days the wind and waves were blasting and it's hard to keep things vertical. As the fly fisherman say "Match the Hatch"....[/size][/font]
[signature]
Just shy of nine pounds, this cutt beats the state record for catch and release.

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/BASS8424/PageAlbumFishing+picsPageNumber1Pic4Fullview.htm"][Image: BASS8424CustomImage0247794.jpg][/url]

[url "http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/BASS8424/PageAlbumFishing+picsPageNumber1Pic5Fullview.htm"][Image: BASS8424CustomImage0257430.jpg][/url]

Heres a fourteen pound mack caught about fifteen minuets later.
Predator, your the man, if those two fish are what you catch after a slow start then who cares about a slow start. Are you in the running with Xman on having the most catch and release records? WH2
[signature]
[shocked]Predator, nice fish! I'm exeedingly jealous. Our shore fishing at the marina was dead. One guy out there said the macs are still there but you have to move a lot to find them. They were walking the dike with spotlights until they found fish then went after them. Your catch is part of the reason I want a boat. Mobility is key on Bear Lake (everywhere else too). The whitefish should be comming in any time if not there already and thats the next fish us shore bound guys can have a blast with at the Bear.
[signature]
Nice fish Predator!!!!! [Smile]
[signature]
[Smile]Predator I know I screwed up by not going but you didn't need to rub it in. By the way that is a very nice cut.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Do you think you could make those pictures a little bigger? I'm having a hard time seeing the fish. You know, I don't think you can count that cutthroat because it's a planter. The rule says it has to be native to show him off. So I think you need to take that picture down.[Tongue][/size][/font]
[signature]
Is that your bait??? God I am jealous!!! You are the ultimate fisherman!! Congrates to you, hope some day I too can get off the shore and experience the thrill.
[signature]