Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roaring River C&R 11/17
Fished Roaring River today for the first time during the catch and release season. Not much of a crowd, but very nice weather. Started off throwing a 1/100 oz. pink jig under an indicator for nothing. Not sure what the fly fisherman were using, but they were doing pretty good in terms of numbers of small fish. Tied on a jig that I picked up a sport show last year and gave it a try. It looks like a wooly bugger with enough weight to cast on an ultra light. Had fish chase it on the first cast and knew I was on the right track. Swimming it across the current finally paid off with a decent rainbow. That set the pace for the rest of the day. Every hole that I pulled up to I would catch a good fish on the first cast or two or I would move on. The fish started off fighting real sluggish, but improved as the day wore on. A couple of the better hooked jaw males even sizzled off line running up and down the pool. I horsed them a little more than I like to so they wouldn't be too spent after the fight. Every fish swam off strong and settled back into the pocket it came out of. I suspect at least a few of these fish will hold over for the spring opener which I am sure will be a blast. I also saw one fish today that was very impressive. It was a rainbow holding in the deeper water of one of the pools. It would come up now and again to look over things floating by and then sink out. Good luck to whoever hooks that beast!!
[signature]
where did you say you had that rainbow tied up at? [angelic]

great report, and throughly enjoyed. thanks[cool]
[signature]
It was pretty easy fishing for trout that good. The great thing is the water is clear and the state park is clean and easy to walk through. I can't wait to get a fly rod to see how strong those things can pull.
[signature]