Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake X 5.25.05
My brother and I launched the toons at about 2PM from the Hailstone boat ramp. We fished the shoreline north out to where there is a hazard buoy (because of a shallow point extending into the water a long way), without out getting a nibble. So we anchored up on the long point and started casting. Managed a 13" smallie and missed another in twenty minutes there on a perch tail dancer. Couldn't get a bite on tubes.

We kept moving north another couple of coves without any results. We decided to troll back in and see if we couldn't pick up a trout or two. Just south of the shallow point there is a secondary point that doesn't look like much from the shoreline, but fifty feet from shore the depth spikes from 70ft to 15ft. We pulled 3 fat bows that were 14-16" and a 19" 3lb 2oz brown of that point in thirty minutes. Water temps were 58-61. I took some pics but cant crop them small enough to post, softwares on the fritz.

At the fish cleaning station talked with another angler who was fishing with a partner from a boat who had caught 10 smallies on 1/4 dark green tubes fished super slow. He said they positioned their boat in 20ft of water on points and cast as far as they could. Another angler fishing from shore with his family had 8 bows, and said hed caught 20 during the day, all on worms.

Also on the DWR's display board, near the fish cleaning station which has a map of the lake and shows the game fish in the lake, I noticed that walleye and (as from a recent posts) largemouth bass were on the board. So whenever the sign was made the DWR knew there were walleye in there.
[green][size 2]I spent all day on Lake X. I dug up 9 smallies. My best 5 added up to 12lbs, very respectable.

At 6:30am water temperature was 55, air temp 45. Night time cooling and high run off has displaced the fish. When the runoff starts to slow down the fish will move up into regular patterns.

The warms water I saw was about 62. I didn't see any perchies, except for some floaties. There was lots of chubs spawning along the shore lines.

I'll have to checkout the fish cleaning station thing friday.
[/size][/green]

[signature]