Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big fish tube fighting strategy
This question may go down as one from the "dumb" category but here goes. A few weeks ago, I was fighting a porky channel cat from my float tube. As they will do, he was making some nice powerful runs. I thought my drag was set so he could take lots of line easily, but a few times he actually as towing me in the tube. We're not talking water skiing, but a 4-5 foot tube pull during a run. I have had big smallies do the same thing to a lesser extent during a fight as well. Here is my dumb question. All other big fish fighting factors aside, is it better to allow the fish to tow you a little (it will obviously exert energy in doing so) or should I loosen the drag more if this happens and try to minimize tube movement. Or does it even matter?

P:S: I did successfully land the cat.
[signature]
Hey there doggonefishin',

Fishing the big salty, my experience is that you can't exert mroe pressure on a fish than what it takes him or her to pull you and your craft around. Watch out on the straight vertical !! No kiddin'!!

Here's my strategy on some of our pesky barracuda (zip zip zip) and big bonito (zippppppppppppppppp) friends:

1) Use the wind and current to gain line.

2) Use the old saltwater flyrodders/tarpon anglers trick of alternating your rod position from left to right and parallel to the water to confuse the fish on what direction to directly pull from.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Man, ain't that a great problem to have? I have rassled with a lot of chunky kitties over the years while paddling around in a tube. That hand to fin combat is great. Everytime I lean back and let a biggun tow me around, I grin and repeat my favorite fishin' phrase "Well, boy, that's what ya come fer."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As long as you have your tackle balanced...line strength vs rod stiffness, proper drag setting, etc....you can just hang on and enjoy the ride. If everything is set properly, and the fish makes a sudden spurt, you will be able to give up line off the drag without breaking off. But, it is possible for the fish to pull you around without pulling line out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are fishing a relatively shallow lake, like Utah Lake, the fish cannot dive very deep and is more prone to make runs or circles. That is good. Wears them out quicker if they are pulling against something. I have fought big fish in deeper water and when they want to stay straight down, it is hard to apply enough pressure to tire them. Whenever you find yourself attached to a fish that wants to play the "yo-yo" game...straight down...you can whup them faster by kicking off to the side and applying sideways pressure. Work the rod back and forth, to either side, as you work them in. If they settle in below you again, then kick away again. I have covered a lot of area during the course of wearing down some of the larger fish I have hooked.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]So, if you have good line, a good hook, a well-tied knot and a good reel with a smooth drag, just hang on and love it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
My biggest fish so far in a float tube was an 8 # cat. My tactics evolved during the encounter. At first I tried to fight it using my fins as leverage, but found it was probably tiring me out more than the cat and a couple of times, I found my fins tangleing with my line and my live well basket as I tried to manuever. I discovered, that if I relaxed, and let the fish have at it - I could tire it out and get a pretty decent ride at the same time. I can hardley wait for a 15-20 # carp ride, like happened on my first kayak fishing experience - hopefully, in my tube, I won't be sailing through the trees.
[signature]
"I can hardly wait for a 15-20lb carp ride"

I actually caught a 30 inch long (measured) carp (I don't know the wt. but he was stout) out at Utah Lake last year in my tube and he didn't pull me around nearly as much as the channel cat referred to above. Channels and big Jordanelle smallies are the two species that seem to give me the best "ride".
[signature]