Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teton River
I was just wondering if anyone went fishing over the weekend and how they did. I wasn't able to get out. I was also wondering if anyone has fished the teton river and if so how is it? I've never fished it and was wondering if it was worth fishing. Where is the best place to go? Thanks
Fight4not
[signature]
The Teton can be a fine producer of big fish. Its running high right now and should not be attempted to float down at this time. Many a boat has been jamed up and capsized. Depending on the run off you should be able to get on the water in the basin before long. I have caught some really nice sized cuts and rainbows on the teton in days past. I won't attempt to get on it for another couple of weeks depending on the run off.
[signature]
I haven't had time to fish the Teton for a couple years now. I just have to many places that I would like to fish and not enough time. Even after the run off is over I wouldn't recommend that any float the canyon stretch of the Teton unless they know the river well and are very experienced on the oars. The upper stretch of the Teton is mostly flat water that wouldn't be difficult to float even now. The Teton is normally runny pretty dirty at this time of the year but with the below average snow pack I wouldn't be surprised if it is clearing up.
[signature]
The Teton River has many faces. The upper section near Driggs and Victor is hit very hard by hundreds of drift boats, canoes etc...

The second section in the deep canyon can be accessed in a couple of places. My favorite is the power plant road West of Felt. You park your car at the top of the canyon and then hike into the power plant. The hike is about a 1/2 mile. It will probably be another two-three weeks before the runoff slows down enough to fish this section. I personally love to hike into the canyon and fish the deep holes, but be very carefull. This is a really deceptive area. It is very deep and if you miss a rock you can fill your waders up fast.

The next section is still in the canyon but is much more gentle. I float in my pontoon from the old dam site to the hog hollow bridge all the time. I have had some really good fishing, but I have also had some really slow fishing when the water was high and dirty. The river flows through many slackwater lakes in this region so be prepared to fight the wind if it is blowing.

Another good spot on the Teton is the section from the Teton Lakes Golf Course to the Beaverdick Bridge on the Snake. When the water drops and leaves holes it will also leave some nice fish that have made their way up from the snake during high water. (Best fished with bait or lures no room to backcast.)

Anyway hope this little overview helps. Send me a PM or call me for more info.

Windriver
[signature]