Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finally caught some fish!
I just started fishing a month ago or so and I've been struggling trying to find any bass to catch. I primarily fish on lakes Mohave and Mead in AZ so I knew they were out there, but nothing I did seemed to work.

There was no way I was gonna spend hundreds (or thousands) of dollars on a fish finder just because I suck at fishing, so I did the next best thing: I bought a topo map of each lake and signed up for Navionics. I was hoping that by combining the information from the two maps I would be able to deduce the most likely places to find fish.

And it worked!

I plotted out seven different spots to hit within a 7 mile stretch of shoreline, launched at 5am and I was hauling in bass by 5:30. Much to my surprise, I never even left the first spot I anchored in; it was so productive I fished it for almost five hours.

All in all I caught two sun fish (which I wasn't fishing for), four bluegill (which I was fishing for) and nine bass, mostly dinks, but I managed to land a 1.5-pounder, a 1.95-pounder and my new PB, a 2.27-pounder. Considering my previous failures, even the dinks were fun to catch! There was what I'm guessing was a 3+-pounder that slipped off the hook as I was trying to net it, but oh well.

I caught them all on a variety of baits -- robo worms, rattlin' crankbaits, a jerk bait... the 1.95 pounder was caught on my ultralight crappie rig on 2-lb line and a #8 hook with a 1" plastic minnow I was using for bluegill. THAT was fun! Good thing it hadn't eaten breakfast yet that morning Smile

Considering how good the bite was, I was surprised (and disappointed) that nothing bit at either my spinnerbaits or my skirted jigs... not even a nibble the whole time. I tried every color/trailer combination I had -- which was a lot -- but they just could not have cared less. At this point I'm going to assume it was my presentation and not the bait, but who knows.

It feels good to finally haul some fish into the boat, and the good news is I have at least one good spot I know of and 6 more spots to try out next time Smile
[signature]
That’s awesome man. Sounds like you’re determined to be a successful fisherman. I don’t think most guys with a fish finder would do as well as you did. That’s the problem with technology though, you end up relying on it too much. Nothing beats studying a map and then actually testing out the areas you think look productive. It sounds like you hit the jackpot on the first time though!!! Glad to hear you did so well. Keep posting, there isn’t much action on this board but I try to post whenever I go out so it’ll be nice to see someone else on here from time to time. Hopefully you can get out and try those other areas out soon.
[signature]
Thanks! I'll try to post as often as possible... this is my only outlet for "fish talk" since 1) my wife honestly could not care less, and; 2) all the Facebook groups I used to be in sucked something awful.

As far as hitting the jackpot my first time out -- no kidding, right? I'm tempted to go back to it, of course -- and someday I will -- but I have to explore the other areas I mapped out first if I want to keep getting better at this... and I do.

I also explored a new region of the lake yesterday as a test: The first time I went out, I used the map to find potential hot spots first and then I hit the lake. Yesterday I went out and looked for potential hot posts on the lake first, marked them, and now I'll research those spots on the maps to see if they look as good on paper as they do on the water. I'll see which way is easier, though I think marking them out on a map first will win.

Thanks for all the encouragement.
[signature]
I feel you about the wife! My wife loves to go out but if she doesn’t go with me she doesn’t want to hear about it. It sounds like you’ve got a great approach to new waters. I might go up to the salt river below saguaro this weekend. I’m on call for work but I think I can sneak away for a few so I can Wet a line. I’ll keep a better eye on the page for your posts and at least if I post now I know someone else will be on to read it 😂
[signature]
My wife loves to go boating, she just doesn't dig sittin' around in the boat doin' nothin' while I don't catch anything [Tongue]

I look forward to hearing about all the monsters you catch, just watch out for all those tubers -- they scream when you snag 'em [sly]
[signature]