Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yaking Willard.(report)6/4
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Fishhound and I hooked up for his first Kayak fishing Adventure with the sit on top's. We got there about 6:30am and Checked out Everyone getting ready for The Wiper Turney. We unload the yak's and got them set up and were on the water about 7:15. With a little intro about the yak's and how to paddle we were off.

I trolled over to the dike and to my surpise there was Aquaman fishing off the dike. We chatted few a few minute's and then I was off up the dike. paddled up the dike four a while with no luck. I started back and got a massive hit but didn't hook up with it. I found Fishhound on the beach. He had a huge Carp drag him into the tree's and broke him off.

We were on the water most of the day. I caught 2 smallies and I think Fishhound caught one. It was a great day on the water. It was the first time this year that I went waderless.

Ended the fishing day by going to the BFT Fish fry. It was good to put the names to the faces and to enjoy some great food. I think that Next year I want to do the turney from the yaks's.

I didn't get the name's of the couple that came over and chatted to me about the kayak's and about the "weed storage". It was really good to met everyone.

I'll let Fishhound give you his report and what He thought of fishing from the kayak's.

Tincanfsh
[/size][/black][/font][/size][/black][/font][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][/url][Image: clear_shim.gif]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=Fishhound;"][#333366]Fishhound [/#333366][/url]
[#333366][Image: Brookie.gif][/#333366]

Jun 6, 2005, 5:15 AM

Post #2 of 7 (323 views)
[url "http://javascript:%20postShortcut(205282)/"][#000000]Copy Shortcut[/#000000][/url]
[/size][/black][/font][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Re: [Tincanfsh] Yaking Willard (report)6/4
[[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=205244;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#205244"][#333366]In reply to[/#333366][/url]] [/size][/black][/font][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_reply_write;quote=1;parent_post_id=205282"][#000000]Quote[/#000000][/url] | [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_reply_write;parent_post_id=205282"][Image: ibut_reply.gif][#000000] Reply[/#000000][/url] [/size][/black][/font][font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][size 1]All I can say, is it was a great all around day. I am sold on Yak fishing. Between Kayote's "ton of info" and Tincanfsh's help with a real life "test drive", most, if not all, of my questions have been answered. I will be joining their ranks as another "plastic fleet fisherman", as soon as I am able to work a kayak into the budget.

Back to Willard. As Tincanfsh has already outlined our adventure, I'll only add my impressions of the Yak and how it fishes.

Yaks are not for everyone. But, they fit me and my style of fishing quite admirably. As I had hoped, the yak provided me means to access some very tempting fishing areas. They draw almost no water, move around with phenomenal ease, are very stable, and can handle, water waves and wind beautifully. I was able to get into places that my float tube COULD not go, my pontoon WOULD not fit, and SHOULD be considered too dangerous and potentially too expensive to fish with my boat. The hard hull performed wonderfully in the weeds, trees and other things that would have sunk any inflatable floating device. Not to mention when a very large grass bass(carp) dragged me into the submerged forest at a fairly good velocity and wedged the kayak in the trees with enough force that I had to WORK at extracting myself and the vessel for the sunken brambles - and the yak suffered no effects. Tincanfsh neglected to tell me that any substantial fish(like a giant grass bass) could move me and the kayak at will, and that if my hands were full of fishing rod, I would have NO brakes of means of controll over where the kayak went - I should have figured that one out myself beforehand. For a moment, I was surprised and concerned when I saw the trees rapidly getting closer and I had no way to do anything but hold on to the rod and listen to the drag on my reel scream(maybe it was me screaming as I saw my intended destination approaching all too quickly). But just like skiing, some of the best experiences are the ones you look back on and are amazed that you survived at all. I can wait to do it again - next time I want to specifically target some really big grass bass - just for the ride.

I also found that I covered water with the ease of having a motor and could hold position to fish a specific place against the waves and wind with little or no effort. Wakes for other watercraft had zero effect on stability and mobility - they were actually kind of fun and provided some good action to the lure I was trolling. Yes, I could really troll - both forward and backward.

Bottom line is this - I will have to adjust some things and experiment a little, but I can definitely see some big time advantages and I will be looking [/size][/font][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey guys, sounds like a good trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Billy, when are you going to start carrying a digital camera? We need to begin building some picture files on yakkin' for our picture board. Now that we have opened our playroom up to kayaks, we need some pictorial support.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you would like some assistance in trickin' out your ride, with rod holders, etc., feel free to bring your craft over to my garage and we can work on it. Then, I can shoot some pics with my camera.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I guess we could also hook up for some more fishing trips and use my camera to take pictures of your smiling face while you whup on the fishies from your yak.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey TubeDude,

No Digital camera yet Because I have already spent my toy allowance for this year with the Durango and the New yak.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
Hey TubeDude,

Guess what. I just got a camera myself - remember I told you about my neighbor that was going to come over and take some more photos of my tube and toon for the board ? Well, we did that, and I now have them on my PC - I still understand very little of the whole process with getting them form there to here - but I'm learning. Anyway, I bought his old one(a digital) and he showed me how it works. Hopefully, I didn't get took too much - he did say he would take it back, if it turned out to complex for me to work. I'll be sending you some photos to put on the board pretty soon - if you'll be so kind as to help me with it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The first thing will be to download them from the camera to the computer. Next, you need to attach them to an email to me and we will go from there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What kind of computer and operating system (Windows XP...or?) do you have. Many of the new ones come with one or more photo manipulation systems that allow you to enhance, crop and resize your pics. If you need help, maybe I can come say hi to the hounds (and cat) again and walk you through it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]