Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windy day on Lake Mead
06/08/50 Wednesday- Launched at Lake Mead Marina at 3:00pm. Windy conditions (10-25mph) made the ride to Las Vegas Wash bumpy and wet. Not many boats out. Nosed around the wash, and surrounding areas, looking for signs of shad, resulting in nothing. No surface action seen, the only alternative was to anchor and fish with cut bait. At least the wind was warm! Chumed with cut shad and anchovies. Started losing bait to little stripers immeaditly. Should have moved, but pulling the anchor up seemed like more of a chore than switching to a smaller hook. Soon I was catching fish after fish, all about 8-12 inches long. No kidding! Bait up, send it down to 25 ft. and within a minute, reel in a small striper, release it, and do it again and again. The wind would let up a little for a while and then hit with a strong gust. The boat rocked up and down, back and forth, while the anchor held firm. This is how it was for about two hours. Not the best conditions but better than going home! On the ride back to the marina the setting sun cast it's light on the surrounding peaks providing an incredible view.
BaySport
[signature]
Haven't done much with stripers lately - don't like handling anchovies and missed netting shad last couple times out. Still some spotty surface slurps from time to time. Expect that to just get better and better for the surface bite.

Watch those winds...and the boat handling... I don't have a marine band and the windtalkers are down except at Callville. I've gotten into some afternoon blows recently. Nothing serious, but took some spray and had to turn on the bilge pump last week.
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Thanks for the report. Even though I started to feel a little sea sick.......

Take care,
David
[signature]