Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who's Been Sea Sick?
[red][size 3]I was supposed to go deep-sea fishing over the weekend but the charter was rescheduled due to high wind warnings. The folks that were out when it kicked up all came back tied to the gunwale rack so they wouldn't fall over with their violent chumming. It appeared they didn't get much fishing in other than that. I looked around the Internet a little bit about how to prevent sea sickness but thought I'd ask around to the experts here. Any good stories? Any good cures? [/size][/red]
[#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000]
[#ff0000][size 3]I've never been out on the ocean before and so the closest I have done is some big swells out in the middle of freshwater lakes and thought that was fun. I enjoy being out on the water but these green Hawaiian Shirt tourist types made me a little uneasy just looking at them. [/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
Never eat a greasey breakfast, take crackers with you and if your stomach starts, look at dry land for a while or any fixed object. Worked for me for years. [url "http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxdm801BNUS"][Image: 10_7_6.gif][/url]

[url "http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb048_ZNxdm801BNUS"][Image: sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb048&pp=ZNxdm801BNUS][/url]
[signature]
Bonine works well for many people. Follow the package directions.

Pepto Bismol works for others.

Wintergreen Livesavers are an all time favorite for others as well.[cool]
[signature]
ginger snap cookies + don't sike yourself up about it. Your mental state alone can cause sea sickness.
[signature]
[Tongue][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3]Years ago my wife and I were on a cruise ship that hit real rough weather with high seas. I didn't mind it but my wife couldn't handle it. She saw the ships doctor who recommended that she go to the pizza bar and get herself a little feast. I thought that the Doc flip his brains out during the rough weather. Hey it worked for her.Might be a matter of mind over matter.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[#ff0000][size 3]Thanx 2 all for the advice. I found some "Dramamine less drowsy formula" which was just Meclazine and also some generic Meclazine at the BX and picked the generic, as it was 1/5 of the cost. I got a roll of antacid tablets, a pack of wintergreen life savers, a six pack of Canada Dry ginger ale, a box of ginger snaps, a box of crackers, a small loaf of French bread, and will follow everyone's advice on where and how to ride the craft. If it sounds like I am obsessed with the "sickos" or with being sick I am really not - just trying to be prepared. I am a Registered Nurse and lately have had people trying to puke on my shoes all day long so that is not a big deal. I have been known to have to take a breather from the rides at the local amusement park after to many hotdogs and cotton candy and I really did feel sorry for those green folks that got caught in the big swells last time so once again - thanx 2 all. [/size][/#ff0000]
[signature]
It sounds like you have just about everything you need. Did you make room for the fishing gear too?? ha ha.

Good luck out there and catch a big one.[cool]
[signature]
Ginger is supposed to work great as a homeopathic cure but you must pre-load the night before and then in the morning before you go.

As far as medicine goes Bonine is the best OTC. If you are a nurse get some doctor to prescribe Scopolamine patch to go behind your ear. The patch works the best with only occasional dry mouth as a side effect.

I personally think it's mostly Psycho symatic from the helpless out of controll feeling some people get.

Captain Dave
[signature]
[red][size 3]Thanx for the info, and welcome to BFT! I still haven't been able to locate any ginger in the pill form around here but did find some fresh ginger root in the produce section yesterday and thought I'd play around with that. [/size][/red]
[signature]
Dramamine has never let me down, and I get sick very easily. If it wasnt for that I would never be able to take a fishing trip. The less drowsy formula still knocks me out on the way home though. They say not to drink with it but I havnt had any problems yet. Have fun!
[signature]
I think they have it at trader Joes or go to a sushi restaurant order something small to go and ask for extra ginger.
[signature]
I'm using " [#ff0000]Meclazine [/#ff0000]" while fishing this weekend in the gulf, gave it a try already and it doesn't make me too sleepy. Last year while gulf fishing in bad choppy water I was really sick for about 20 min., but on the bright side after it all was "up" and done, I felt like a new man. It seemed kinda like the experience of Eddie Rickenbacher (read his biography book) while flying a WWI biplane... he flew like crazy and pouposed to get himself over and done with all that nausea in a single crazy flight. It worked, after that flight (and clean up...eeecchh! [Tongue]) he never had nausea again. [cool]

I'll post back after this Saturday and let ya know how the [#ff0000]Meclazine [/#ff0000][#000080]worked, seems I'll be fishing between storms "Cindy" and "Dennis" [Wink] !![/#000080]
[signature]
Good luck out there and be carefull with those foul weather critters.

Hope we can see some pics too if you are able to get some.[cool]
[signature]
You bet! Keeping an eye on "Dennis" now. Even if we get cancelled on Sat. we'll still fish tomorrow at the pier (Ocaloosa Island).

Best,
G
[signature]
It sounds like we have similar personalities. I have had charters cancelled due to foul weather. The weather (no comparison to the hurricanes) was not enough to stop my desire to fish and have a good time.[cool]
[signature]
Got word before our drive to FL that the fishing was off, our prayers with the folks in the panhandle for sure, "Dennis" is picking up speed.
So Friday we got to GA's Lake Lanier for some Striper fishing, my best to date. Got limit in less than 3 hrs. Even though Lanier is fresh water, Striped Bass are also ocean fish, so I'll post a pic here... !!
[signature]
Hey, my snail speed home pc is acting up tryin 2 send the pics, I'll have to post later.... ~~G
[inline "13plus Striper.jpg"]
13plus striper

[inline "Lake Lanier 4 Stripers.jpg"]
Lake Lanier 4 stripers

***There wasn't much color to the pics. I only reduced the size to stay withing the posting limits set by the board administrators***
[signature]
Let me know if you need help posting the pics. You can always email them to me and I can add it into your post.[cool]

You can find my email in my profile.
[signature]
Thanks for setting up the pics. [Smile] Hey, should the files been sent over as .bmp images for better color quality? I can also reduce them before I get them to you....

Best,
~Glenn
[signature]
I believe that the files you sent over were some kind of IMG files. It is faster and easier with the JPG format.

Also, the recomended size is 300 px by 400 pixels. We will allow up to 450 wide. Otherwise it stretches the page too much and makes you have to scroll back and forth to see the whole pic sometimes.

Once you have the pic to the right size, it is easy to attach to your post.

1st Place the pic in a folder that is easy to find.
2nd click the browse at the bottom of the editor browser.
3rd click on the picture file and then click the upload attatchment button.

4th To place it into the post, click the inline box located next to the attached pic.
5th click on the image box in the BFT tool bar. It will ask you where the image is. Click "INLINE"

It will then pull up your selection. Click it and then click on the "Submit" button.

Shazzzzzam!!!! Your picture is now in your post.[cool]
[signature]