Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bartlett Lake Footballs
Well since we have a new moderator I figure we should all welcome him with a recent report.

Bartlett,

Its a little tough to launch right now but if you have 4-wheel drive its not a problem. IF you do get out right now you can experience some of the funnest fishing in the state of Az. You wont catch many(if at all)big ones but the lake is stuffed full of fish in the 1 to 3 pound range with a few in the 4 to 5 pound class.

All I have to say is White Spinner baits in the morning slow rolled off the steeper banks has been catching us some good # of fish along with some great a great rip bait bite. When chasing these fish you need to make sure that you toss that blade right up on the shore, because those fish are hammering the bait after about two cranks. Make sure that you stay in contact with the bottom, bumping along the bottom as you reel in and hang on. Those 1 to 3 pound "footballs" put up a great fight and the wildlife that comes down to that lake is absolutely beautiful.

Anyone else been fishing? let us know

[Image: teeth.gif]
[signature]
Good report. Did you launch at the marina or up by the cliffs? Also, did you take a water temp reading. It should be falling pretty fast now. I have been hitting Saguaro, except for last weekend (honey-do's before T-day). The temps have been falling a degree or two per week...down to just under 65 a week ago.

Also, did you see anyone drop-shotting or slinging plastics? I've done pretty well on some smoke sparkle and whites when the bass are actively chasing shad along the bank. But, when they're on spinner baits, why change. Right?

Was there any topwater action at all, or are the shad staying down?

Those schoolies in Bartlett do pack on the weight in a good feed year. Unlike some of us, the extra weight doesn't slow them down much.

Any reports from Roosevelt or Apache? Heard tell there are some nice smallies coming out of Apache. The unsettled weather this next week should get them moving. They tend to like sloppy weather a lot more than largies.
[signature]
You need to be sure to sign in before posting. But I know who you are.

I have been pretty much limited to Butcher Jones area, myself. I fish mostly from a tricked out kickboat...with sonar, rod racks and all that. I know the layout and the structure of that area very well, but it can be temperamental.

Two weeks ago some five to eight pounders had the shad pushed right back into the shallows. The big boys were snuggled up to the few remaining clumps of weeds and ambushing schools of shad as they drifted by. Each attack only lasted a few seconds, but if you were on it, you got bit. I was throwing some new plastics...5" XPS twin tail shad I got from Bass Pro Shops, and some 5" smoke hologram Kalin's Lunker Grubs...on my custom poured 1/16 ounce heads on 3/0 hooks. In my kick boat I get to fish a lot of water the boats get shut out of.

I'm going to be trying some of my custom coloring jobs to try to fool those trout-eatin' hogs that wallow in the weeds at daybreak. Don't know when I'll get out again with Turkey Day and visiting family stuff.

Yeah, I'd like the idea of combining talents on the water sometime. Let's trade a few more emails.

By the way folks, this guy is for real. Got a pic from him of a real toad bass. Didn't look like trick photography either. You really need to put it up on our wall of fame. I'd vote for it.
[signature]