Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge - Buckboard Derby Report
My Father, Brother In-law, Nephew & I returned home late sunday night. We had a great time fishing the gorge ( june 11 &12 ). We caught lots of fish. I didn't take many pictures do to rain, wind.
We found fish from 30 to 45 ft deep. We used 2 downriggers & snap weights on the other poles. We trolled orange lures/ 00 silver dodgers. caught tons of little Lakers (6 lb largest), 4 Rainbows and lots of kokes (3 lb largest). We fished mostly straight across from the Buckboard Marina.
The guys from Californnia fishing from the Boat below- took 1st place & tied for 3rd in the Kokanee division. Meet them at the hotel, really good Kokanne fisherman.
[inline "FG11122005 018a.jpg"]

1st place Laker = 32.76 lb.
1st place Rainbow = 3.66 lb.
1st place Kokanne = 4.40 lb.
1st place Brown = 4.58 lb. won big fish & big brown $3,000.
1st place Bass = 3.01 lb.
[signature]
sounds like you guys had a fun time. We need to get together for some fishing one of these days,
jed
[signature]
Dont feel to bad fishonlynch,as my team had about the same luck as your's,lots of fish just nothing with any real size to them.We were using about the same tackle as you on the down riggers,vareing our speed and trolling in tight "s" patterns.Overall we had a great time ,the weather on sunday could of been better,but that's the way it goes sometimes.We did have a nice brown up to the boat,but my net handeling skills caused my buddy to lose the fish(i heard about that for two days)I thought having live updates on the radio every 15 mintues was pretty cool.As for the boat in your pic(meat hook) them guys really had a sweet set-up and did seem to know what they were doing.

One of the guys from buckboard told me that these guys make alot of money from all the tourneys they enter.
[signature]
Seems surprising to me that a rainbow larger than 3.66 lb wasn't caught. Is that typical?
[signature]