Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening day success!
Our TN Deer season opened this past Saturday the 23rd. Temp's were around 24 degrees and clear. My expectations for a good opener were on target. The Full Moon had been 3 days earlier, and the bucks were in rut. At 6:57 AM I got a whiff of strong Tarsal gland...a buck was very near and upwind of my stand, nothing unusual when your on the ground, but I was 20' high in my tree stand. I stood and turned to look behind me. No Deer were in sight. I pulled out my Woods Wise Deer call and blew 3 grunt calls...no response. As I slowly began to sit back down, I heard movement in the leaves from behind me. As I stood again, I spotted a Deer coming in at a gallop...range; 65 yards and closing fast. I brought my .280 up and brought the buck into view...a nice buck! I increased my Redfield's power from 3 to 9 power and settled the crosshairs on his shoulder. The buck found where Doe's had been feeding under an Oak tree in the predawn darkness and stopped to investigate. I squeezed the trigger and the buck collapsed, dead in his tracks. My opening morning 8 point has a 17" spread and field dressed at 130 pounds (not an ounce of fat left on him). No giant, but a respectable buck. Happy Thanksgiving and good hunting, Ghost
[signature]
Great going Ghost. Are you done now or do you still get to hunt for does. Personally I think that does are better eating.

Indiana's opened up for gun a week earlier. I got a small buck on Sat the 16th dressed out at 155. Last Sunday the 24th I got a nice doe. She dressed out at 128.
[signature]