Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's wrong with catching bluefish
Hi,

I'm new to saltwater fishing in New England and am interested in understanding why no one likes bluefish.

I haven't caught one yet but from what I read they seem to be a strong fighting fish and fun to catch - just watch those teeth; however, people don't like to eat them.

If they are a fun sport fish, what's the big deal?

Thanks,

The Dude
i love bluefish,it is a trip catching them on light tackel.most poeple dont like the taste because it is a strong flavor.the key is to bleed them quickly and throw them on ice.what part of new england do you fish?
[signature]
You'll enjoy catching these fish. Great fight pd for pd. Tomc is right on the taste, you may have to get use to it. I've heard milk over night works well too.
[signature]
Blues are fun to catch - they'll also bite a good fish in half when it's on the line (I caught a 10" speckled sea trout that was about 20" when it took my bait!).

An easy way to bleed them is to cut the tail off and hang it up for about 10-15 minutes, then put it on ice.

As for cooking them, the best tip I got was this: wrap them in newspaper, soak overnight in kerosene. Unwrap, toss the fish and eat the newspaper! (just kidding, of course!)

Seriously, they are good marinated in italian salad dressing and cooked on the grill - enjoy!
[signature]
Hey snook.hooker. Welcome to the BFT message boards. It is good to have another contributing member from FL. We have a few other members here from FL and have room for plenty more.

I hope you have as much to learn from us as we have to learn from you.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks, tuben2, glad to be here!

What's with the "wormy thing" under my name???
[signature]
i will have to try the itailian dressing,sounds good.the wormy thing is a icon on how many post you do ,you can look at the attachment for more info
[signature]
As you contribute more to the site, your icon changes. In otherwords you won't be a worm forever.

It does take time to get to be a Great White Shark. Stick around with the site for awhile and it will start to grow on you.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for all the input. I'm out of portsmouth, NH and depending on the wind/weather either groundfish out around the isles of shoals or go for stripers in the piscataqua river.

Cod/Haddock/Striper are really the primary targets of my fishing partners and now that I've finally got my own hardware (21' center console) I'm interested in trying to hit some blues since they're in and the sport for me is more valuable than the meat.
Not a thing. Blue fish make up allot of action up here on the Jersey coast. My main target fish are Striped Bass, but if blues grab the line its just as much fun. Here is a picture of one of the linsiders I nailed from the beach.
[signature]
Been so long since I posted here. Just saw this reply in my inbox.
I love blue fish, to catch, NOT to eat.
YEEEEEEACK!
Till next time.
Bob
[signature]