Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flys for Carp fishing
any one have any patterns working on carp?

I heard that they are hookin in to carp with fly rod and flys on the flats of lake st clair. I was wonderin if any one knew what they were using....
[signature]
Hey there DTC - Just recently I read something about this subject on-line. But since I wasn't interested in catching carp I dismissed the subject. Now if I could only remember where I came across this info. 
[signature]
Hey there DTC now I recall where I read about fly fishing for carp. I subscribe to an e-mail update from Jackson Hole. Here is an article from the JH Star Tribune: Carp

Carp are regarded with disdain by many anglers, which can make them attractive for anglers seeking solitude.

Befus collaborated with Barry Reynolds to publish "Carp on the Fly." Befus observed carp are also a challenge because "they are spookier than bonefish. Having fished for both of those species, I think that carp are a pretty good test of your angling skills and casting abilities."

Platte River Fly Shop owner Mark Boname said he started fishing carp in central Wyoming's lakes and reservoirs one summer, because opportunity knocked when the North Platte River's infamous moss started coming on.

"I was looking for an alternative species this time of year when the river gets crappy," Boname said. "I used to stop off at Goldeneye (Reservoir) for trout, and then I started chasing carp. ... I just use big streamers, and then dries if they're gulping the surface. It's all about presentation with them. You've got to it right in front of them."

Boname maintains a Web page called "Carp Unlimited" that can be accessed through Platte River's site at www.wyomingflyfishing.com. He said streamers that work are Bite Me Buggers, Vanilla Buggers, and "something that imitates a crawdad or a leech. A Muddler Minnow I found was good pattern last year."

[/center]
[signature]
thanks, I will give them streamers a good lookin over.....
[signature]
It makes no sense at all trying to catch carp with streamers as carp donot eat small prey fish normally, so your results may be poor with these kind of flies.

Overhere in the Netherlands some fly fisherman fish for carp now and then.

Our most succesful flies represent small fat nymphs, or bread......

So the best patterns are small fluffy nymphs (unweighted) on small stronger carp hooks (size about 4-6) or white or cream palmered flies on the same hooks or white, cream, yellow, light pink and even black salmon eggs (again same hooks or Tiemco 105).

The black salmon eggs immitate small floating snails.

What we need is warm weather (not toooooo hot) which brings carp to the surface. Carp flyfishing is like sight fishing for Bonefish or for trout in crystal clear rivers.

You need to spot the fish first (maybe you can even attrct them by white bread, although that is not my thing).

Then you must study what they are doing. If they are lying still enjoying the sun, move to another that is cruising or active and keep the sunning carp in mind.....

Active carp might be looking for food and you will have to estimate their route (like in bonefish) and then try to let the fly and carp meet eachother...... takes can be seen, and you must react very fast. (this is the technique with the nymphs and salmon eggs)

With the palmers you need to cast to a spot you encounter carp a lot (know your water and carp very well), let the fly drift in the surface, but they need to be tied so that if you give a small strip, they will sink just slowly. As soon as you see the carp coming near the fly...... strip and let the fly sink to the carp........

Carp will put on a great fight, use at least a #6-#8 wt. ...... my largest sofar was about 35 pounds.....

Success !!!, CU, Gerald.
[signature]
Hi there Pikefly and welcome to the BigFishTackle. Nice to have someone from the other side on the pond join our group. What you say makes sense. The comments in my response was taken from the Jackson Hole Tribune in Wyoming. I haven't fished for carp since I was teenager and certainly wouldn't know what kind of fly to use unless it looks like a piece of liver, bread or just about anything else one can find in their kitchen. I understand that minnows work fairly well in rivers.  
[signature]
Dave Whitlock wrote an article a few years back called "Stalking the Golden Ghost." It was complete with patterns and techniques. I believe I found the article on-line:

[url "http://www.flyfisherman.com/midwest/dwcarp/index.html"]http://www.flyfisherman.com/midwest/dwcarp/index.html[/url]

They are fun to cast to, but VERY difficult to catch on the fly. Once you hook into a couple though, they will take you for a ride! I wouldn't use anything less than a 7 wgt rod.

good luck!
[signature]
Hi there EmuScud and thank you for digging up that story about the Golden Ghost. Sort of puts a different light on fly fishing for carp. 
[signature]
thanks nate, other than the popcorn one the rest look a bit out of my league...

I realy like the ant one, I know I could pound the gills and bass with that one...

the popcorn one kind of remindes me of a marshmellow and I have caught a bunch of carp on marshmellows....

I use an #8 rod

I heard streamers work, I may give one of those on that site a try.. (try to tie that is [blush] ) I am not the best fly tier, I dont even qualify as a amiture. good thing carp dont give or take points for form and structure...LOL
[signature]
I'm going ot have to disagree with you Pikefly. I know streamer work for carp. I love to catch carp and that's all I use. Also I've seen carp feeding on small minnows. They may not have teeth but they have a hell of a digestive system. their throats are vicious. I've see the little critters glutten themselves on small minnows to the point of vomiting (the reason I was sure they were feeding on them) Carp are very oppertunistic and will feed on what ever is present.

Most people won't agree with me on this fact but take a look at the link. At least on man dose. [url "http://flyfisherman.com/midwest/dwcarp/index3.html"]http://flyfisherman.com/midwest/dwcarp/index3.html[/url]
[signature]
I have yet to catch a carp on the fly yet. But have caught them with mullberries. I have also seen guys tie berry flies with chenille or yarn. I wonder if dipping a berry fly in sugar or powdered candy like FunDip would work.
[signature]
I do fish for CARP and love it.
I swear by Rainy's Collection:
http://www.rainysflies.com/pages/af_sign..._carp.html

They flat out WORK! The two I used the most was the Hex and the Corn Ball.
As far as the streamers...I used a Gartside Softhackle which was Yellow and white and they loved that! I hear ya on the fact they are not known for eating bait fish, but they do hit woolly buggers and clousers, so not sure what they think they are.

Also, regular numphs like Prince, Haresears, and Pheasant tails.

Did I say they like that Corn Ball:

[Image: IMGP3482400.jpg]

[Image: IMGP3487400.jpg]
[signature]
I just returned from South Africa where we caught several large carp on fly. During summer a midge hatch in late afternoon leaves them scattered on the surface. The wind blows the midge bodies together into a scum line. When the wind dies the carp come to the surface and suck them up. You can see hundreds of mouths sticking out the water. You have to cast 6 to 8 inches in front of them with a floating fly that they can see (not very picky) and they will swim up and swallow it. Hard work but worth the reward when you hook up. Great practice for accurate presentation.

Sorry to say that no links are permitted by new members with less than 15 posts. Kindly check the  http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=faq for further clarification of our rules & regulations. 
A simple black wooly bugger is tops in my book for carp. They are easy to on a #4 or #2 salmon hook. We have landed a lot of carp that topped 20 pounds on them.
[signature]
[ Sorry the pics didnt work last time. This is one caught out of the Blackfoot Reservoir In Southeast Idaho.
 Here is your picture. Yours was over 2000 pixels wide, so I reduced it to the acceptable BFT size of 450. Man that dude is mammoth. Dryrod 
Photo didn't work last time - trying again
[signature]
how much did that toad weight? good lord. i caught a monster on the river right bellow the damn. he crushed my 30 lb scale like it was nothing. i caught him on a trashed worm that was barely hanging on the hook i reeled it real slow by him and he spun in a full 360 and sucked it up. one of the most amazing things i have ever seen. i fought him for almost 40 minutes i was 19 at the time and my grandpa had to get down and net it i was exausted after that battle. oh by the way it was on eight pound test line and a medium action rod he spooled line like it wasnt even attached to him i have a picture somewhere that i cant find. but i know my grandfather has a copy i could get and scan for you guys.i know this story seems far fetched and it is useless with out pics. so i will have to get the pic.
[signature]
We didnt have the scales with us that day, but im guessing him in the 30# range. Find that pic I would like to see it, sounds awsome.
[signature]