Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two new questions for you
Hey Dryrod,

I do not know enough to ask you specific questions but I will try my best:

1. What do you prefer using, Bamboo or Graphite rods?

2. What would be a good fly to use fishing for Brook or Brown trout in a small river?

In Advance, thank you again,

Dan
[signature]
[center][cool][/center][left][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]One hesitates to compare Bamboo vs. Graphite, as that is like comparing apples to oranges. Both rods have advantages and diSadvantages. Any fly shop salesperson will profess the advantages of graphite that he or she derived from observations, and more than likely will also affirm the diSadvantages of split-bamboo while never having had the pleasure of casting one. I do own a bamboo rod that was my Dad’s. Have never had it on the water but one of these days I am going to take it out for a spin. In that manner I will be able to give a somewhat objective answer. For now it hangs on my den wall. [/size][/green][/font][/left] [left][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]First and foremost, bamboo rods are more aesthetically pleasing, and can be works of art. Each rod exhibits a unique look and feel. The color may range from pale straw, shades of tan through rich brown. The color is intensified by near perfect layers of varnish. Silk wraps, nickel silver ferrules and hardware, exotic wood reel seat, and natural cork handle compliment the rod. The bamboo rod is a true heirloom that can be handed down from generation to generation for which I can attest too.[/size][/green][/font][/left] [left][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]One major difference lies in the structural differences. With bamboo, you have a solid structure consisting of fibers with varying densities. With graphite you have a hollow tube of uniform material. The result is that bamboo is smoother, closer to natural action and less tiring so I have been told.[/size][/green][/font][/left] [left][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]You may hear that bamboo rods are heavier. This is true, however, this relatively small increase in weight is also one of its advantages, for this additional weight gives these rods an inherent loading characteristic that makes them very smooth casting.[/size][/green][/font][/left] [left][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Bamboo rods are more expensive, but prices for good graphite rods are approaching those of bamboo rods. A typical bamboo rod takes from 40 to 60 hours to craft. Like any handcrafted instrument, a bamboo rod assumes some of the rod maker’s soul, unlike soulless machine produced rods. Some people believe that all bamboo rods have slow action; take sets and can break easy. This is simply not true. Modern bamboo rods are heat tempered and are less likely to take sets as some older bamboo rods may have. And if a bamboo rod is broken, it more than likely can be repaired unlike graphite rods. [/size][/green][/font][/left] [left][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4]Bamboo rods are built using standard or proprietary tapers. Most makers will empirically derive their own tapers, while others may use know, existing tapers. In either case, these tapers may manifest a fast, medium or slow action. In fact, some rod makers offer very fast bamboo rods, which would rival the action of any graphite rod. [/size][/#008000][/font][/left] [left][font "Poor Richard"][black][size 4][#008000]Trout flies? Everyone will swear by what works for them. If I had to pick one, my favorite choice would be a Royal Wulff. However, there are several factors to consider as to what will work the best under the conditions that one would be fishing. There are numerous flies available for trout. I think that the majority of flies are indeed tied for the trout family.[/#008000] [/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][size 4][green][/green][/size][/left] [center][font "Poor Richard"][size 4][green]Fly Patterns for Trout[/green][/size][/font] [/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][size 4][green]All Caddis, Mayfly, Stonefly, Attractor, Midge, Streamer,[/green][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Poor Richard"][#008000][size 4][green]Terrestrial, Crustacean Patterns to name just a few of the[/green] patterns.[/size][/#008000][/font][/center]
[signature]
Good Answer, thank you very much.

I have two fly rods, one bamboo and one graphite. I prefer using the Bamboo because it feels smoother and more precise to cast. This rod was custom built for the original owner by the very old Acromobie and Finch store over sixty years ago, it is my pride and joy.

My graphite is an Ugly Stick fly rod and it is strong but it has an entirely different feel to it.
[signature]
[center][cool][/center][center][font "Poor Richard"][green][size 4]Well that is about how old my bamboo is. My Dad bought it used either in the 30's or 40's. Must have been in bad shape for he completely dismantled and refinished the rod. Unfortunately he also removed all the markings so I have no idea as to it's maker or wt.[/size][/green][/font][/center]
[signature]
Trout flies:

Streamers: Wolley Buggers in black, brown, or olive. (sizes 4-10)

Nymphs: Pheasant Tail and Hare's Ear in all variations (e.g., flashback, beadhead, etc) (sizes 14-18)

Dry Flies: Adams (both traditional and parchute), Royal Wulff, and the every popular Renegade. (sizes 12-16)
[signature]