Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wipers on Flys
Has anyone tried to catch Wipers on flys? What fly pattern would you think would work?
[signature]
There are a lot of wipers taken on flies from Willard every year. Big white streamers and crystal buggers have worked well, but there are a lot of salt water flies that imitate salt water bait fish that will do a good job of representing the shad.  Look up a good anchovy or smelt pattern, fling it out on either a sink tip or full sinking line and work in a few feet off the rocks. We are coming up to some of the best surface action of the year, when wipers herd schools of small shad right against the rocks and then mop up on them. If you are in the right place at the right time, you can wear your arm out. 
[signature]
TubeDude,

Where is a good place to buy these flies? Would James at Hooked have them or Sportsmans?
[signature]
I think I would have a fair degree of confidence in any pattern James (HFT) recommended to you. He has some regular customers that do some fly flinging for wipers and he knows what they have been using. The most important element, as with a lot of fishing, is not so much what you use, as where you use it and how you fish it.  There is an old saying that a good fisherman can catch fish on the wrong bait or lure, but a bad fisherman can't catch fish on the right stuff. Good luck.  
[signature]
What's up Daniel,
Wipers on a fly rod are a hoot. I'd recomend a 5wt. if you want to have a really good time. The best way to stick a wiper is chase the boils and cast to 'em. If you can cast into a boil you'll not have any problem. Anything white will work. James at Hooked can give you some great advice. I use to work there and would go out quite often for wipers. James will have the advice you need.

If you have any other question for me feel free to send me a PM. Who knows maybe I'll see you out there at wilard.

Trent
[signature]