Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goleta Pier Fishing
Hi, I'm new here and have some questions for goleta/sb locals. Anyone here fish the Goleta pier? And if so:

a) what do you usually fish for
b) what type of bait do you usually use
c) where/what time do you usually fish

Thanks in advance....

H.H.
[signature]
YAY another santa barbarian~~~~!!!!!!!!!
heehee
hey dude
welcome to SB
i fish at goleta pier..im a shark fisherman however..you'll usually find me off the end catching the toothy stuff
i usually use 100# mono leaders and whole squid/mackeral to catch bat rays, sand sharks, and leopards. my main line is between 20 and 40
theres plenty of other fishin however..
near inshore, and all along goleta beach, is pretty good surf perch fishing..and some corbina of your really lucky
small grubs with shrimp work for perch, as do chovy chunks. theyll ewat almost nething
theres also halibut fishing all along the pier, although there are spots that are better than other
halibuts are best caught on live bait, or swimbaits
you can also catch bass all along the kelp beds that line the right hand side of the pier
i usually fish the afternoon.evening/night
my preferred bait is fresh mackarel, which is catch-it-yourself when theyre running
reccomended outfits vary..but it usually helps to fish atleast 15# when going for anything but perch/baitfush/halibut/corbina
i personally use one 40# trolling reel on a 11 foot surf rod for bigger sharks, a 7 foot boat rod with an old penn wound with 25#, and a lighter 10# spinning outfit for catching bait and small bass
GOOD fishin luck n all
/coop
PM me for any more Qs
[signature]
daniel cooperman?
junior at DP next year?
[signature]
cuperman
who are you LOL
/coop
p.s. email=dacooperfish@gmail.com
[signature]
email sent.
[signature]
Welcome aboard sbfisherman. Just like cooperfish, I frequent the Goleta and Stearns Wharf quite often.

We have several reports on the CA board if you would like to follow along over there.

I am also a shark fisherman. Lately we have been getting Leopards, Swell Sharks, Spiny Dogfish Sharks, enormous Shovel Nose Sand Sharks and good sized Batrays.

Most of the aforementioned species can be caught on squid. You can also use cutbait.

Let me know if you would like to meet up on the Pier. I can hook you up on a couple of BigFishTakcle stickers for your tackle box.[cool]
[signature]
Just curious: With all of the sharks you are catching, do you guys keep any, or are they all released? It sounds like some pretty exciting fishing, but I am curious to learn if you're eating them.

If not, how often do you catch fish other than sharks that you do keep and eat?
[signature]
99% of the Sharks that I catch are released. I mostly fish for Sharks and Rays.

If you go to the CA board, there is a post entitled "What are you catching in your area"?

The post has a series of other stuff that I have caught. It includes species of Sharks, Rays, Rock fish, members of the Wrasse family as well as the Perch Family. There are Crustaceans, Starfish and even 3 diffrent members of the Croaker family.

Please feel free to check them out.[cool]
[signature]
oops. forgot to log in.

above guest = sbfisherman
[signature]
hey, im a pismo avila port sanluis fisherman wanting to try fishing at goleta i usually fish for shark but want to know if there are any secrets for the pier or any locals of goleta wanting to go ill be there this fri night the 7th
[signature]
It seems like squid will work on just about anything out there. Fresh Mackerel will work even better for the Sharks.

I prefer to use a sliding rig since it allows me to slide down another fresh bait without having to pull my line out of a good spot to freshen it up. I just slide down a new fresh piece to the same location.

There are Swell Sharks or Puffer Sharks as some people call them on the South side of the Pier. You can catch the nicer Leopard on both sides but they are better near the Kelp line on the north.

I don't know if I can get up there this weekend. I am fishing out of State and won't be back till late Friday afternoon.[cool]

Are you guys getting any good Leopards up your way?? I used to catch quite a few in the Pismo/Avila area.[Image: fish-on.gif]
[signature]
[size 1]Went to stearns with cooperfish on sunday and I wasnt impressed. I think I'm gonna stick to Goleta Pier. I would go to stearns again but the parking nightmare (might be because of the weekend) and the long walk was a big deterrent. [/size]
[laugh][laugh]
Havent caught any leopards yet just big shovelnose and alot of rays the other night a couple of regulars reported catching a 8ft something a shark but they werent sure what kind
[signature]