Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
December 1, 2002 - Winter Bassin' in the Salt - Calico Hunter III
Winter Salty Bassin' has begun.

The post front conditions didn't turn the bass on as much as the pre front conditions Larry & Dimitri had on Friday (I guess they got 80+ legal bass for 3 guys on the 5 inch Big Hammers). I went out of Santa Barbara with Larry and his brother Scott. We started on the One Mile Reef and it was slow. Larry picked up a couple of small fish but that was about it. We continued down the coast hitting a few spots along the way and picked a few fish here and there. Around noon we were around Carpinteria and Larry decides to buzz down to the Rincon area - which was a good call. Most of the fish were sandies but at least it was moderately steady enough to make it fun and "save the day".

When all was said and done the three of us got 41 legal bass (about 80/20 - Sand Bass to Calicos) and a nice big sculpin. All fish were released. Largest fish was probably about 2.5 - 3 pounds. Most of Larry's fish were on 4 and 5 inch Big Hammers in reds and greens. Most of my fish were on 5 inch Sea Wolf & Clear Red Flake colored Big Hammers. Most of Scotts fish were on a 5 inch Amber with red & black flake Assalt Skirted Twin Tail grub.

After my initial taste of this excellent wintertime fishery last winter I'm looking forward to whacking them again this year.
[signature]