Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commins
Glad I found this forum, seems like a nice place! I went up to Commins on 7/19 during the wicked heat wave so the bite was off. We were out in a boat and had no luck so we hit my Dads favorite shore spot and he got a decent rainbow and I landed a 4lb rainbow on my ultralight w/4lb test and that was worth the trip. The water temp was 71F! We trolled Cave lake a for a couple hours to escape the heat but only caught planters. I caught 10 inch fish on 6 inch Rapalas! We were going for the big Browns but alas no luck. My Dad talked to a couple guys at Commins who caught a 9lb Brown out of Cave lake this year trolling with Rapalas. As mentioned elsewhwere Commins seems hit or miss. When its good its really good with 2-4lb rainbows making multiple jumps and peeling line off but sometimes its just dead. Apparently they are going to drain it next summer and expand it by 2 1/2 times (plus kill the pike). So if you like Commins get up there before next summer because it will be a few years before it gets good again. An interesting side note is that supposedly they are going to drain the lake where the Pike came in from at the same time to prevent the same guy from doing it again.Sorry So long winded.
[signature]
Just gotta reply to this post about Comins Lake. I was born & raised in Ely, actually at the time where I lived was called East Ely. Anyway, I can remember many happy times at Comins back in the late 40's & early 50's. We used to ride our bikes out there & there was an old wooden boat built kinda like a wagon box (square ends) that we'd bail out & then plug the holes as best we could with cattails then pole out on the lake. At the time the only fish in the lake were chubs.

I was befriended by a gentleman named Bob Dickey who owned a motel in Ely & was also the White Pine County game warden. He used to take me with him sometimes when he was stocking fish. We took a pickup load of bluegill and another load of largemouth & put them into Comins in about 1951. I never heard of any bluegill being caught & it wasn't until the late 60's that I ever caught a bass. That's about the time they put northern pike in the lake. It turned into a superb northern fishery for a few years but the northerns ate up almost all the chubs & were literally starving to death.

There were several real drought years when the 3-C ranch pumped the lake dry or almost so & I think that's when the fish & game decided to poison out the pike. Then the state purchased the 3-C ranch & let the lake fill up again. It sure was turned into a great trout fishery.

I kinda think I might know the guy who put northerns back in Comins. I'll bet he caught them outta Basset Lake north of McGill. That was a pretty fair trout fishery long ago. Don't think there's anything left in there now but a few stunted bass, carp & northerns. If they do drain it, it would be a good thing. It used to produce some pretty fair bass, bluegill, yellow perch & crappie along with the trout. I don't know how many times it has been treated with rotenone to get rid of carp but they always come back. Sure hope they never get introduced in Comins.

I know this is long winded but I really have a place in my heart for that area & still love to get back there to some of my old haunts. I just couldn't pass up the chance to post a little bit about it.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing your great experiences with us. I enjoyed it very much. Sounds like you have enjoyed a lifetime of fun filled outdoor adventures. Nevada has wonderful outdoor opportunities for those who seek them. Thanks for demonstrating that. Don't worry about being long winded around here, sharing fishing information is the purpose of this forum.
BaySport
[signature]
Basset lake is where the Game Warden told my Dad the Pike came from, and you probably do know the guy who put em in. The Game Warden pointed him out (he was out fishing for pike). He said they knew it was him but no real proof. So they are draining basset too to prevent it. In the Wardens opinion Commins will be better than ever 3-5 years after they refill it. Plus it will be deeper so the reeds might not be as bad. No need to worry about catch and release at Commins for now.
[signature]
Hey, Man,

Check your P.M.'s. I sent you one about Comins that I hope you'll like.

GEEZER
[signature]