Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CATFISH 101...MORE CHAPTERS
[cool][#0000ff]I'm still working on my "epistles" on Utah Lake catfish. I previously posted my introduction and had a request for any new stuff I had ready, so here it is. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The chapter on baits is probably something a lot of Utah catters are going to like to have. We get a lot of posts and requests for this kind of stuff on the board all the time. Hope it helps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Similarly, a lot of anglers have trouble knowing what kinds of hooks to use, and what sizes for which baits and conditions. This is an area where you can get a good LIVELY discussion going, since it is very subjective. One of those personal opinion things. Too bad hooks are so expensive these days, and too bad you can't find a complete selection on shelves anywhere to make your own side by side comparisons. I HAVE tried most styles of hooks over the years, and I DO have my own opinions, but I try to stay open to new and different models and applications. By the way, on the page with the hook pics, the ones in the boxes are copied and pasted from Cabelas online catalog and if you click on them they are a live link...you will bring up a Cabela's page with description, sizes available and prices. Neat, huh?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Another opinionated area of fishing is lines. I try to remain objective and non-brand specific in my discussion of lines. Most folks who know me know that I fish the Silver Thread Excalibur (copolymer) almost exclusively, for its high knot strength and superior abrasion resistance. Tough stuff and great casting with no stiffness or memory problems.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am still working on pieces covering catfish rods, rigging and techniques. I'll post them up as I finish them and make the whole think into one big Word document when I finish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope it helps. Let me know if there is anything you would like to have covered in any of the sections.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
sweet!! I cant wait to read!! thanks tubedude!!
[signature]
I dont know if anyone else has asked for this... being new and all.but I was wondering if you could post some pictures and narrate the proper way to skin and fillet a catfish.I've had catfish before but I have never actually seen this done but I do know you dont want to gut a catfish right? heard there was something about hitting the gal blatter. thanks
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Just so happens that I have put up just such a post. [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=142538;#142538"][font "Times New Roman"][#000000][size 1]CATFISH FILLETING[/size][/#000000][/font][/url][/#0000ff][#000000][size 1] (Link to post with pics)[/size][/#000000]
[size 1][/size]
[blue]As far as avoiding the gall bladder goes, you will often cut it while filleting. It is tough to avoid it. The good news is that it won't poison you and it is quickly and easily rinsed off the fillets. You will never taste it.[/blue]
[blue][/blue]
[blue]When I am filleting, I drop the fillets into a sink with running water to do a preliminary rinse. Cutting into the innards of a catfish opens up a lot more than just the gall bladder. It can be pretty rank. So, I do a quick rinse and then do the skinning, as I show in the pics. The rinsed and skinned fillets then go right into a large bowl full of ice water, with plenty of floating ice chunks. That finishes the rinse and fast chills the fillets before you put them in the refrigerator or into freezer bags.[/blue]
[blue][/blue]
[blue]Let me know if you need additional assistance.[/blue]
[signature]