Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turtle Trapping
I will have to get a good day time picture.

the purple thingys are water wienies. they are placed inside the cage to keep part of the trap above water.

according to michigan state law your traps must be set in a manner that a turtle can stick his head up above water and breith.

the lake is privet property so the dnr has no jurisdiction here....

I have done one better, I have turned him in to some trapping buddies of mine and they will start running circles around him. I build my traps, he is buying his.... he will be able to spot the trappers watching him, and therefor get the message.... my buds wont do any thing to him other let him know that he is messin with old time trappers. and we study each and every animal before we trap them....

I had an old mink one time who for about a month got the better of me, kicking over my traps with out setting them off, stealing bait from my traps.

and just when he thought he had me down pat I caught him.... like the mink he did not realize that he was being watched....

he has racoons he could get paid to go after there, he dont need my turtles....

ya know I have run fur traps along side other trappers on the same water at the same time as other trappers. and what I found out is that I would get furs that he wouldnt normaly catch and the same with him from me. I learned my tactics from old farmers where as most trappers of today learned from books and few from their papa's. There has only been less ocations than I can count digits on my left hand where I have had altercations with other trappers, and even then we usualy found common grunds and became beer buds and ice fishing buds for the winter, and on ocation we ran our lines together....

we had respect for one another, we didnt steal or set off traps intentionaly to ruin any one elses production. Trappers are a breed of their own, I am not saying all trappers are as noble as it sounds, there are indeed a few rotton possums at the bottom of the whole.... and every body knows them......

Trappers have minds like steal bear traps, sharp cunning and dont miss. (when someting goes off it gets caught) My line used to be 371 long. I knew where every single one was set, how it was set, if it was a bait set or a trail set or a swim set or a float set. I used to freek out the kids in school when I could remember the name of every kid and where each kid sat in class and their locker, what they wouldnt eat out of their lunch bags or food tray from the caffiteria on top of all that I could tell every one of them their grade point avarages. when half the kids could not tell you how many kids were in the class room let alone every thing else.

it is not somthing astonishing realy, it is much the same as a race car driver who has made his 20th lap around the track of indy 500. you see it every time you go around you cant help but notice every tire track every pump in the track and how many seconds to your next lap card.

point in case is that when doing your job means stealing from some one else then you realy aint doin your job, and the day will come when you will starve to death because the one you are stealing from wont stick around long or worse yet catch on to what your doin and get some one else to do it to you [crazy].....

me I could not stay in a job where I would have to steal from some one else in order to compete, I would not be able to look at my self in the mirror in the mornings or come home to the wife and kids and look them straight in the face and tell them I did a good days work....

maybe it is me, but I have always taken pride in my work and what I do. even if it wasnt the best it was honest and I did my best....
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Turtle Trapping - by davetclown - 08-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Re: [davetclown] Turtle Trapping - by davetclown - 08-04-2005, 04:29 AM
Re: [davetclown] Turtle Trapping - by lonehunter - 08-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Re: [lonehunter] Turtle Trapping - by davetclown - 08-05-2005, 04:14 AM
Re: [lonehunter] Turtle Trapping - by davetclown - 08-12-2005, 03:17 AM
Re: [davetclown] Turtle Trapping - by lonehunter - 08-15-2005, 01:10 AM
Re: [lonehunter] Turtle Trapping - by davetclown - 08-15-2005, 02:27 AM
Re: [davetclown] Turtle Trapping - by lonehunter - 08-17-2005, 02:09 AM
Re: [lonehunter] Turtle Trapping - by davetclown - 08-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Re: [davetclown] Turtle Trapping - by stormy26 - 08-22-2005, 02:50 PM