Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 tube reviews, 1 good, 1 not so much
[font "Arial"][size 3]Just to start, I am new to tubing. Just started this summer, as a matter of fact. I am on my second tube. I tube the Potomac River for smallmouth bass. I bought the tube as a wading accessory to begin with.[/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Arial"] [/font][/size]
[font "Arial"][size 3]The first, a Creek Co. U-2000, had a problem with the seat ripping out from the sides after the second trip. This could be because I am approaching the weight limit on the tube, but I am sending the cover back for replacement. I will use it as a spare for when a (lightweight)buddy comes along. I think it would be a fine tube for someone under 200lbs or so. The materials and zippers seem sturdy enough.[/size][/font]
[font "Arial"][size 3]The 2nd tube, a TU Bighorn, has been nothing but a pleasure. I have taken it out a half dozen times. No problems with seam separation, the materials seem to be top quality. Good zippers, lots of D-rings, and since I am a Keep-It-Simple-Stupid type of fisherman, the pockets are plenty big enough for me. I tried the stabilizer bar the first time out and haven’t even brought it with me since then. No problems with the U bladder closing on me, or stability. I have taken it through class 1 and really mild class 2 rapids with no problems, usually being able to stop in the middle of them if I want to. On the other hand, I only attempt this because I am used to wading these same areas for 20 years. I would NOT recommend this for a river beginner. All in all, A great tube.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the input. Always like to get reviews, good or bad. That really helps the newcomers to get a better slant on different craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seems like more and more of our gear is being assembled "offshore" and corners are being cut to keep costs down. That's okay if we get good gear for a better price. Unfortunately it usually translates to getting inferior materials and quality of workmanship. I have heard a lot of complaints about different tubes over the past couple of years, literally coming apart at the seams. Bummer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you can get a replacement, it is good to have a backup or an extra. I'm sure you will put it to use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As far as tubing in current, I have tubed almost the entire length of the Sacramento River, in California, for about 8 different species. Some of the river is wide and slow. Other parts are pretty "agitated" and swift. As long as you don't allow yourself to get pushed into fast shallow water you will usually make it okay. And, like yourself, I have found it possible to hold position in some current and to fish the surrounding waters. I tend to look for slow eddies or gravel bars to get out on, if I want to spend much time anywhere.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Keep working on your new hobby. Send us some pics of your favorite fishing holes and some of the results.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Arial"][size 3]I am not sure that it is a quality thing, as much as a quantity thing. The tube has a weight limit of 275lbs, and I am about 265. I don’t take much stuff though. I think it would be a good tube for somebody under 200 or so. Oh well, like you said, a spare. At least it comes with a lifetime warranty. And it came with fins, but I have yet to use them. I haven’t even taken them with me yet. [/size][/font]
[size 3][font "Arial"] [/font][/size]The area I fish is pretty rocky. The spot in the pic is a long riffle that’s 2- 3 feet deep and runs across about a quarter of the river. There are a lot of mini-van size boulders and ledges to the right. Lotsa scenery, both natural and human.
[signature]
I totally agree with you on the Bighorn. I love mine. I recenty got a toon but I still use the tube because I'm just so comfortable in it. I guess I'm one of your "lightweights" so I need the stabalizer bar because mine will kind of squeeze me a little and make things awkward. Other than that I have to agree they are a great craft.
I'm not sure I'd put it on a river but that's because I've never done it and don't want to end up on the news and/or the subject of a search and retrieve mission.
[signature]