Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Toon needs an apron
I first would like to thank everyone on this board for providing a lot of really great information. After reading opinions here, and hearing ideas, I decided to buy a Outcast Fish Cat Cougar pontoon boat. Great looking boat.

I do have one issue with the boat however, the manufacturer seems to think that the two pieces of screen under the pouches are "stripping aprons?" I don't know about you, but when I'm stripping in fly line, I'm not piling it up to the side, it's right in front of me. That said, the last thing I want is a mess of line around my feet! Does anyone know where to get an aftermarket stripping apron for this boat? I really like the one they have on the Fish Cat 9', and am surprised it isn't included on the cougar, but any aftermarket apron you can recommend would be appreciated.

Thank for all the help so far!

Regards,
Tom
[signature]
MOST DEALERS WHO SELL OUTCAST BOATS WILL CARRY A VARIETY OF EXTRAS YOU CAN BUY TO ADD TO YOUR TOON. IF NOT THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO ORDER SOMETHNG THAT FITS THE PURPOSE.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I share your frustration. Outcast just does not seem to believe in providing good aprons. I have the Super Fat Cat and have tried several different modifications to the factory supplied aprons, since theirs is a joke. Just a wimpy piece of netting that rests on your lap and is not good for line stripping, tackle tinkering or anything.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are handy with PVC, or can find a prefabbed frame, you can make a fold down/up arrangement and finish it with mesh or solid nylon fabric. But, I do not think Outcast has those as optional aftermarket items.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One trick, employed by some 'tooners, is to carry a plastic storage container behind them and then put it on their lap or between their legs to hold the line while stripping. If you can find one the right size it will wedge in between the two sides of the pontoon and will help keep your line well contained for the shoot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is one of the issues I am still wrestling with, before getting my own Cougar. I like to have a working surface in front of me for laying out tackle boxes and tinkering with tackle. And, I don't want to risk dumping it into the water easily. I am also getting back into fly flinging, after just making a new 9.5 foot for 5 weight line, so I too could benefit from having a good stripping apron...or basket.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let us know what you come up with, or feel free to bounce any new ideas off us.[/#0000ff]
[signature]