Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish Chili
[cool][#0000ff]Okay, I had some requests for my Kitty Chili recipe. I have tried several variations over the years, and this one seems best to me. It is a combination of a chili verde recipe, tamale pie and my own wacky sense of experimentation.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since I use corn meal to thicken it, it comes out pretty thick...great for burritos. You can also use it as a side dish for eggs or just bowl it up and pig out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Note: You don't have to get out a bunch of spices and seasonings for this. The enchilada sauce pretty well takes care of that. But, you can mess with it if you like. I kinda lean toward the quick N easy school of cooking that doesn't need much in the way of foo foo addons.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]That looks delicious, TD! Gotta try that soon before the summer is over. Hopefully Sept. 3rd will prove to be successful to try this recipe out!
[signature]
[font "Viner Hand ITC"][#ff4040][size 3]That looks tasty TD. Gonna have to try that one day. Love any kind of chilli, but hate what happens afterwards.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]It really is good stuff. Just be sure to eat some ice cream afterwards. At least that is the remedy some folks suggest.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Doesn't bother me. I have an asbestos lining in my digestive system. Bring on the heat.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=11807;"][Image: doc.gif][#000000] KITTY CHILI.doc [/#000000][/url](21.0 KB) [/size][/black][/font]TubeDude, that doc is the same as you have photo of? For some reason I can't seem to open that part but can open photos.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Some computers are stubborn about opening Word docs attached to threads. Here is a copy and paste for ya.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff] [size 5][font "Times New Roman"]KITTY CHILI (By TubeDude)[/font][/size]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]INGREDIENTS:[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 1 small onion, chopped coarsely[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 1 cup yellow cornmeal[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 1 large can enchilada sauce (28 oz)[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 1 small can chopped green chiles[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] ½ to 1 small can chopped jalapenos (wimps can leave out)[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 1 small can whole kernel corn[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 1 can beans…kidney or ranch style[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 3 cups water (add more water to thin)[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] 1-2 pounds catfish…cut into small chunks[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]STEP BY STEP:[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"](Use a deep skillet or soup pan that will hold at least 3 quarts)[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]1. Sauté chopped onion in butter or oil over medium heat until translucent.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]2. Add all other ingredients and turn up the heat to bring to a boil.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]3. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]4. When fish is opaque and flaking apart, it is ready to serve.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]5. Serve with refried beans, rice and tortillas. Top with sour cream and/or grated cheese. A bit of chopped cilantro on top doesn’t hurt neither.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]OPTIONS: [/font]
· [font "Times New Roman"]Taste before adding any salt or additional spices. Prepared enchilada sauce often provides enough seasonings.[/font]
· [font "Times New Roman"]May substitute any firm fleshed fish…like wipers[/font]
· [font "Times New Roman"]Makes a good filling for burritos. Use less water for thicker filling.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Makes 8-10 bowls or about a dozen burritos.[/font]
[signature]
Thank You!!
[signature]