Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody ever used mossberg
I am in a horse trading situation with my brother, i got the better end of the deal but i have to get a rifle for him. i was at the store yesterday getting ideas and i saw a mossberg .270 rifle, it also comes in a .30-06, for a great price. i know that mossberg makes good shotguns i am just wondering if anybody has had experience with their rifles.
[signature]
I have a Mossberg Maverick ® 12-gauge shotgun that I love!! It's served me well the past 8 years. From what I hear Mossberg is a middle-of-the-road manufacturer, not top of the line, not crap, but i have been completely satisfied with mine.

Since it's not a rifle, that may or may not help you. I didn't know that they even made rifles.
[signature]
The old Mossberg .22 rimfires were pretty high quality utilitarian rifles that are affordable and accurate. I shoot a 642 Chuckster .22 Magnum and get good results. I know people that use heavy bbl. models with aperature sight for 3 and 4 position olympic style rifle shooting. I have no experience with their pump shotguns or high power rifles. I believe that Gun Tests did a review on the high power rifles. My experiences with a internal box magazine .410 Mossberg made bolt action shotgun (made sometime before 1968) that was well worn were awful because it had some feeding problems and the mag could not be stuffed to capacity. I would assume(hope) that a new gun would be better.
[signature]
My Mossberg 12ga. pump had a reciever problem after the first year. It got worst so I brought it to them. [ only two towns away for me] and they put a new reciever in at no charge even though the gun was three years old. But I Never had trouble with my Remington rifles. Don't think I could trust Mossberg for a rifle.
[signature]
I assume that you are looking at the bolt action ATR 100 series, not the single shot. The test target pictured on the mossberg website looks good.
http://www.mossberg.com/model100atr.htm

A google search found a a place where others were talking about them.
http://forums.basspro.com/cgi-bin/ultima...5;t=002364
[signature]
Yeah it is the 100ATR i hadnt seen thoses sites about it, i am still doing my homework on it but i think that the price is right at $250 with no scope
[signature]
[font "Impact"][#ff4040][size 3]You should just get him a remington. At least then you wouldn't have to worry about getting him one that wasn't going to work. The ruger m77 is a good gun too, and reasonably priced. Just my 2 cents worth.[/size][/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
SES i am in utah, thats where i have been seeing them at. i cant help with texas as i have only been there once about 12 years ago
[signature]
Yeah i had about decided to get him a savage firearms .300win mag when i found a screaming deal on a T/C black power rifle. i ran the deal by him and he went for it, i still get my bed and he got his gun. he just has to buy his own big calliber rifle
[signature]
Michigan, I am not a big fan of mossburg. I did buy a newer modle 20 gage at a shop in northern michigan that ran 299. short stock short slug barrol. a lot better gun than what I was used to seeing, atleast in the older modles of mossburg.

I had a .22 mossburg rifle that fell apart on me. and my dad had a 12 gage mossburg pump that realy ticked me off, it kept freeziing up on me every time I went to shoot a deer with it. That probably had to do with the oil he used to clean it with, but ya know how it is when you pick up a gun to pull the trigger you expect to get a bang out of your gun at least...

if you can find it for that price it is usualy a day before christmas or after the holidays sale. even at wallmart. it is almost imposible to find any gun for under 300 nowadays...

by the way, with the price of gas, you can go to a local gun shop and buy a more expecive gun and save on a tank of gas driving around looking...

good luck...
[signature]
Yes but there is not much of a fish afterwards.[sly][sly][Wink]
[signature]
The savagesare supposed to be good guns. I hav e done some shooting Ruger M-77's. Mine is a limited edition 7.62x39mm and I would not trade it for anything. They are strong and very smooth rifles! The price can sometimes be double or tripple the Mossberg price but I bet the quality is way better. I would not get the cheap new wally world grade remington. I have heard to much bad stuff about him. BNy the way, TC muzzle loaders are great. What model did you get him?
[signature]
I agree with Kraizee Skot, buy a remington and be done with it.[cool]
[signature]
I have a Mossberg that has been doing good for close to 12 years now.

Proper maintenance and regular inspections pay for themselves.[cool]
[signature]
Remmington or I know that HS Precision makes very highquality rifles, not to mention browning A-Bolts or the Tikka T3 Light, or even better, get a Ruger M77. all are good choices
[signature]
lets not forget ithica,
more to speak the 1957 modle fether weight with the option ventlated barrol and slug barrol.

that gun is worth more now than it was new.... What a scream... wished I had held on to mine.
[signature]
there is a new mosburg that came out in recent years, 20 gage, two barrols, one modified for bird and one slug barrol.

I bought one for my dad a couple years ago, he loves it. light weight, low impace recoil pad.

its a prerfect youth beginner gun with its short stock. or for when pops still enjoys the sport but dont want to carry that big old hunk of iron any more...
[signature]