Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 hp enough for 14' jon?
Hey there everybody, I'm new to the forum... and have a few questions. I'm a 22 year old college student, so I dont exactly have the $$$ to spend on a nice, big fishing rig. At the moment, I'm looking at an Alumacraft model 1436 jon boat, as Academy has them for $587, which seems like a good deal to me. Is a 5 hp outboard adequate for a 14 footer?

Also, I've been pricing 5 hp motors, and came across the Briggs & Stratton 5 hp. They are in the $700 neighborhood locally, which is very appealing to me. Is this motor as powerful as a Mercury, Johnson, etc? I guess the bare bones appearance of the motor makes me skeptical (not much of a cowling, etc). However, I do like the fact that it can be had in camo for a few extra bucks. If I hear good things about it, I might pick one up this weekend. [Smile]

Does a 14' jon with 5 hp engine sound like a good setup for something that will pull duty as both a fishing and duck hunting boat?

Thanks in advance for helping a clueless newbie.

Grant
[signature]
As long as you don't pull a skier it sounds good to me. I did check out that Briggs&Straten 5 hp at my local auto parts store. Didn't impress me at all. Look for a small used moter made by a marine dealer. I know I sold my 7hp merc. for only $200.00 so there are some good prices to be had. Good luck
[signature]
Well, after thinking long and hard, I think I've decided to just bite the bullet and get a 15 hp Mercury. I picked up the boat and trailer yesterday, and will probably get the motor today or tomorrow. I think I've decided on the 4-stroke model. I like the light weight of the 2-stroke, but the 4-stroke will use 40% less gas (according to Merc), run quieter, and have a 3 year factory warranty, whereas the 2-stroke only has a 1 year factory warranty. And the 4-stroke is only $100 more. If for nothing else, I think its worth the $$$ for the longer warranty. Anyway, I'll post pics when I get it all setup. [Smile]

Grant
[signature]
Yep, got it. 2006 Mercury 15 hp Four Stroke. [Smile]
[signature]