Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TROUT REMOVAL
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Here's the latest on the Fed's plan to remove trout from the Colorado River, below Lake Powell, in order to make it suitable habitat for the chubs and suckers.[/size][/font]

[url "http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1213canyonflood.html"][#800080]http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1213canyonflood.html[/#800080][/url]

The good news is that they are not going to mess with the Lee's Ferry fish, but just the trout that migrate below it and eat those precious native species...that nobody wants to catch and serve no useful purpose...and you couldn't legally keep them if you did catch them.
[signature]
Wow, that makes perfect sense! [laugh] They complain that unatural flows and temperature from the dam releases are what caused the so called "problem" with native fish and now they mess with nature even more by making a high flows when the browns spawn in the fall which is totally not natural. I think we play God way too much in this world. We as a human race have made many terrible mistakes on the habitat but some are better left adapting to a knew environment. I really don't think it would be smart to try and kill eveyone's cats and dogs in Salt Lake because the native and very endangered Utah Tarantula needs to be revived. Glenn Canyon dam is here to stay that is a fact we must face. I believe in saving natural strains but in this case who will even know that these have returned and what difference will it really make if no one utilizes or even sees them for that matter. And who is to say that they will make a come back with the now colder water. And last of all if they are going to destroy what wild trout there are down there. If they raise the water below Lee's ferry that means it will be raised at the same time along the Lee's ferry stretch as well. No more wild fish. It is one of the great places you can go and catch a trout on a dry in January and not have to deal with iced guides and 5 layers of clothing. Some times they need to face the facts and make the best of it. I love native Cutthroat but you don't see me campaigning to kill everything in Utah Lake and reintroduce them. It will never work and we have a great warm water fishery at Utah Lake why ruin a great thing trying to accomplish an idealistic and impossible goal.

tightline
[signature]
So what your saying is because these native fish species pose no signifigant angleing oppertunity we should wipe them out so we can have some good brown trout and rainbow trout fishing? Since we all know trout are limited to only a few select rivers and streams throughout the World.
[signature]
If we keep killing off motherr nature at the rate we are doing now. Then there wont be any nature Mother or otherwise for our grandkids. No I', not a tree hugger but we humans wipe out the wild places and wild things faster than they can adapt. Changing that one part of the river back to it's wild state (it that is even possible) can only improve our enviorment. I for one could live with a few less trout. There are no natives in that river, all the trout there were put there by man. So let the true natives have it back, it wont hurt us but may save them. Getting off his soap box and heading to the lake to catch a trout out of the man made lake known as Strawberry
[signature]
the only downfall to save the native fish is a very large dam called glen canyon. in order for the indigenous species to survive realistically that needs to be removed also. otherwise water flows are not at the historical marks. in that event the dam will stay the trout will be removed and nothing will really survive down there well. this is all speculative of course but to me it doenst make sense to ruin something that has already been ruined. meaning they changed it with the dam . the dam is not going anywhere. but they are only changing it half way. if your going to do something do it right. so if you remove the trout remove the dam. we can see thats not feasible so why not learn from the mistakes of changing the environment. keep something the way it is since we already changed it. native fish are very important but i have read quite a few articles about the native fish in the colorado. they explain why they are not doing well in that area. from those articles it doesnt appear that they will flourish anymore just because some predatory fish are moved out.

it makes more sense to me to use the funding for removing the fish to improve another fishery instead of ruining one even more. my two cents
[signature]
Thanks Xman,

I couldn't have said it better.

tightline
[signature]
[size 3]I think Xman has done a good job of explaining the "common sense" approach to the problem. But you can't argue with the need to preserve species. There's some very good discussion of this on [/size][url "http://www.wayneswords.com"][size 3]www.wayneswords.com[/size][/url][size 3] for those of you interested in sharing your opinions.[/size]

[size 3]And Xman, there is a very strong contingent out there wanting to drain Lake Powell[/size][size 3]. So be careful when you say tearing down the dam will never happen.[/size]
probably should have knocked on wood first huh? yeah i know about that and the sierra club. perhaps one day they will realize that if they do drain it the true defintion of ruins will be in place for the ruins they want to preserve. and the wonderful filth that has left a layer one foot deep of human excrement and cigarette butts in the bottom. i would love to see all of that myself. tear it down. :-)
[signature]