Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accessible Canadian Adventures
Check this out... An organization out of Canada that has sourced hunting/fishing adventures for the disabled sportsmen.

[url "http://www.acadventures.ca"]www.acadventures.ca[/url]
[signature]
[size 1][cool]I sincerely appreciate you posting this bobjost. As you have pointed out in your pm to me, "Any one of us could within a blink of an eye be in that same position." [/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]I would like to join bob in urging all hunters/outdoorsmen/women to become pro-active and encourage those whose have succumb to a disability. Bob sent me the folling article that I thought was very profound and eye opening. [/size]

[size 1]In 2001,[/size][size 1] I was asked to take photographs for an organization at their annual golf tournament. As I sat in the clubhouse waiting for golfers to arrive, I noticed Wylie in the wheelchair. We began chatting about events and experiences when the topic of hunting and fishing came up. His passion for the outdoors was engaging. He spoke of a time (before his disability) when his days were spent trekking through the bush in Newfoundland hunting moose, snaring rabbits and fishing the Atlantic coast for salmon.
[/size][size 1]Wylie’s disability occurred ten years ago due to a serious highway collision. Immediately following the accident he was airlifted to hospitals twice but could not be administered painkillers for almost 12 hours because the trauma teams had to decipher the severity of his injuries before numbing his pain. He spent six intense months in rehab with many other victims who faced challenges they never could have imagined. He now has amazing upper body strength which is maintained by a dedicated regime of weight training.

[/size][size 1]Wylie lost his freedom to do what most hunters take for granted; stepping out of a car, walking through the bush and not falling backwards while discharging a firearm. In all the years I had gone in pursuit of game I never considered these types of situations before meeting him. My awareness has developed through observing him and how he deals with being disabled. For Wylie, hunting is not the independent activity it once was; he needs someone with him when he wants to engage this aspect of his life.

Through in-depth discussions and hundreds of hours of sourcing, we know the market that can cater to the disabled sportsman is limited. It is an exciting prospect for us to be able to provide clients with the best outfitters and guides who understood these specific needs. Whether fishing the Great Barrier Reef in Australia for 1,000 pound black marlin or hunting whitetail deer in Northern Ontario, these adventures can be made possible by combining the desire of the client with the skill and concern of the outfitter/guide.
[/size]
[size 1]For some it may take tremendous mental and physical effort to arrive at an adventure site, but being in “The Great Outdoors” and experiencing the thrill of the chase will far out-weigh any obstacles.
[/size][size 1]My friendship with Wylie has changed me. We have spent many hours together hunting big game and fishing. When Wylie sets his mind to take on a challenge, nothing deters his spirit.
I encourage anyone who knows a disabled sportsman, woman or young adult to be supportive in getting them outdoors hunting (if hunting/fishing is their love). The key is accepting the challenge, the joy is felt in witnessing the expression on the face of someone doing what they are meant to be doing... living out an adventure.
[/size]
[signature]
Many thanks Bearclaw!!

i appreciate the comments.
[signature]