Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
berry
IM going to be going to the berry this weekend and was wondering if anyone could help with current hot spots? Ive tried to jig for fish up there in the past year and have only caught 2 fish. I can never seem to find the fish. Also I was wondering if the fish are movign or do they stay suspended in the general area you find them.
Thanks.
[signature]
It may be the way you are jigging. Sometimes I bait a small jig and add smelly jelly and let my jig go to the bottom and just leave it alone. Other times I will cast and jig it back in. I have also just dropped it straight down and then jig it up and down slowly.
You may also ask others what type and size of jig is working now.
A fish finder will also help you with depth and location of fish.
There are tons of trout in the Berry and you should be able to catch them almost anywhere you want to try.
You should try to improve your technique in order to catch more fish.
[signature]
Welcome to BFT. Use white tube jigs,redpink crappie jigs,or any jigs that look like a red shinner minnow,tip it with worm and crawdad smelly jelly and drift with the wind in renagade bay or strawberry bay and you will killem!..good luck!!
[signature]
I WENT TO THE BERRY LAST NIGHT FOR A FEW HOURS AND THE LAST COUPLE OF HOURS BEFORE DARK WAS FANTASTIC. FISH IN THE TOP 5-10 FEET OF WATER WITH A SMALL TUBE JIG TIPPED WITH A CRAWLER AND SOME SCENT LIKE THE PREVIOUS POSTS HAVE STATED. THROW YOUR JIG OUT AND JIG IT BACK AND HOLD ON BECAUSE THEY ARE HITTING WITH A VENGANCE. LOOK FOR FISH FEEDING ON THE SURFACE AND THROW OUT TO THEM, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT YOU WILL HOOK UP. GOOD LUCK
[signature]
Hey welcome to the hide out..
As has been mentioned a FF (fish finder) and small tubes such as 2.5" - 4" in common bait fish patterns/color will usually gets em. And while a slow jiggin' does produce I suggest you not avoid the quick change up from time to time. Often a small change such as a fast jerk creates the reaction strike when those little buggers seem willing to watch and not take. Whats more often the drop speed will effect them. Try to avoid allowing the jig to drop to fast. Dead or dying bait fish dont plummet to the bottom like a rock, they drift down slowly.
And, Never avoid the use of a little meat (shiner) on the jig at the Berry..

Best of luck..
[signature]
Thank you all for the tips. I just got myself a fishfinder and hope to get into them on sunday. I will get back to all of you on monday and tell you how I did. If any one is up there on sunday look for me Ill be in the white and maroon Caravelle ski boat id love to meet some of you knowledgeable fishermen.
[signature]
All the advice above is good. We had an excellent day last tuesday vertical jigging and caught 40+ fish. My friend fished yesterday and the wind was blowing so vertical jigging was difficult so they trolled using flyrod with sinking line and black wooly buggers and caught 20+ fish is 3 hours. If you don't have a fly rod you could also just long line a black bugger with a small split shot 5 feet up the line. You can troll anywhere from 1.0-2.5 MPH and get them. They will become more agressive near the surface as the water continues to cool and the water turns over. We caught a lot of fish last fall trolling buggers and very fun to catch them on the fly rod. They really hammer it. Trolling white tube jigs at about 2.0 MPH works good this time of year also. Have fun and we'll watch for your report.
[signature]
MY last success with jigging was dropping it to the bottom and bringing it up 2 feet, then let sit for a minute then let it sink to the bottom quick, then lift really slow. Just play around off the bottom. Smile Good luck.
[signature]