Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Wohlford Trout Opener
I was lucky to be invited by Jed Welsh to a "special" press day of fishing prior to the regular trout opening at Lake Wohlford in Escondido. About 75 writers converged on the lake after a breakfast of "stuff".... like fried Ostrich, Frog Legs, Rabbit, Buffalo, Kangaroo and other fine cuisine. I stuck with the ham and bacon. So Jed and I and another good friend Bud Klecker spent the morning bankfishing for extra large rainbows (3 lbs), even brown trout. We caught our limits while the guys in the boats really did it to them. The brown trout didn't have the same marking as those we catch in the Sierras, they had every appearence of a rainbow except for some large distinct spots across their back and their bottom jaws were long enough to tell they weren't rainbows. I would highly recommend Wohlford, I think the lure bite was the best of all the lakes. 3 inch Castmasters silver with red and black coloring on one side. (I think) Move it as slow as feasible, the fish definately did not want a fast retreive. Also Bud caught a few on a large Thomas Bouyant.
[signature]