Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catch and release perch safely
Great lure modification for catching and releasing perch without harming the fish… The perch seem to love this lure , as well….

https://youtu.be/oJ-XleyL1Ds
An even easier method is to use a SIWASH open eye hook. Gamakatsu and many other hook Manufacturers make them . You can tie buck tail or other material, IE Marabou, tinsel flashabou etc. for more attraction as shown in video
The advantage is you can cut off the hook if necessary or remove it if the lure has a split ring. Then since it is open eye just pop it on and close the eye with pliers. It is much easier and the open ring eye allows the hook to sit straight on most any lure. I keep SIWASH hooks in my gear for changing out where regulations require single hooks or when you want to make it easier to unhook fish than it is from a treble. When fishing for salmon in AK I Use Gamakatsu SIWASH on spoons and spinners. I change out Kastmaster from treble to SIWASH when fishing for stripers at Lake Powell as well. Pick up a pack and keep them with your tackle, you can switch out hooks in a few seconds if and when you need to,
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Great modification, good looking Mepps. Got a question for you, are white perch similar to white bass?