Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LOWRANCE X67C VS. VEXILAR FL18
I NEED SOME ADVICE ON ELECTRONICS FOR THE ICEFISHING SEASON. DOES THE X67C HAVE A FLASHER MODE AS WELL AS A GRAPHING MODE? I'VE USED A FL8 BEFORE AND HAVE BEEN FAIRLY HAPPY WITH THAT UNIT. I'D APPRECIATE ANY ADVICE AND INFORMATION ON EITHER THE X67C OR THE FL18. THANKS.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Marcum LX-5![/size][/black][/font]
[Image: lx-5-flasher.jpg]
*NEW* Marcum LX-5 Ice System
This new three-color flasher has a patent pending TrueColor display. TrueColor is the latest from Marcum Technologies improving color separation and resulting in an ultra crisp and highly visable display (even in bright sunlight).
Manufactured in the USA, this sonar ulit boats 2,000 watts of peak to peak power.
The LX-5 comes standard with a dual beam transducer. To switch between the 8 and 20 degree cone angle is as simple as the touch of a key.
The unit has a patented adjustable multi-level "Interference Rejection" feature that allows the user to knock out interference from other nearby sonar units.
The LX-5 incorporates a patented movable zoom feature that allows the user to zoom in on a segment of water anywhere within the water column.
This unit also features another of Marcum Technologies latest breakthroughs, Super Fine Line. The Super Fine Line feature allows the user to improve the units resolution resulting in target separation down to 1 inch. You can now use the unit in its full display and separate those hard to see bottom-hugging Walleyes.
The LX-5 Ice System includes an embroidered padded soft case, 12-volt-7amp battery, fully automatic three stage digital charging system with LCD battery display, electronics shuttle with adjustable transducer arm, dual beam 8 and 20 degree self aligning transducer, gimbal bracket, powercord, and LX-5 powerhead.
[signature]
Yes it does have a flasher mode and graph mode. I have the m68 with the ice transduecer and have been very happy with it. It is similar the 67 but also has gps which I still need to spend some time with learning how to use it.

I have not used a vexilar or marcum although I have seen them being used and know the owners are happy with there use.

Here is a link to lowrances website and the x67.

[url "http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/X67C.asp"]http://www.lowrance.com/Marine/Products/X67C.asp[/url]

They are all quality machines and I had a tough time choosing but I came across a great deal on the m68 and couldn't pass it up.(about $150 less than normal list for a brand new unit from an online store.)

I suggest reading the descriptions of the different machines, talk to owners, find what features you like best and maybe find stores that rent machines for a day. I think Hooked rents vexilars if James isn't using it himself.

Also look at posts on the ice fishing board.

Good luck in your search

Bigpapafish
[signature]
Welcome to the board hellwithwork

nice choice in name. Can really appreciate at the moment!

cyas
rc
I have both the Vexilar FL-18(2 yrs) and Marcum LX-5(1 yr). Both are great units, but I prefer the Marcum over the Vex. I don't know much about the Lowrance, but I would give the Marcum a serious look before you buy a Vex.

Waiting for ice!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey, Chester![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I don't think you have an LX-5. They are brand new this year. In fact, they just went on sale this week! I'll bet you have an LX-3, which are still good units. Marcum has added a lot of new and improved features to the new LX-5 over the LX-3.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I just had James at Hooked order mine a couple of days ago from the factory . There has been a lot of chatter about the LX-5 on the internet but not until this week did they finally go on sale. When I finally saw them for sale, I called James and he got it ordered. It may be the first one in Utah! [/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'm a dyed in the wool LCD guy but I'm going to go with a flasher this year. The speed of a flasher has got to be a plus. I don't know if I'll like it more than my Lowrance LCD but I'm going to give it a fair chance.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Oops! My bad! Now I may have to get another!
[signature]
Rich, Rich, Rich....you crazy dawg! Can't believe you are going with a flasher when you have that sweet Lowrance! They are pretty cool though.
[signature]
I have the Vexilar FL18 for ice fishing and a Lowrance color unit (LCX-19C) for my boat. It has a "flasher" mode I think, although I don't use that mode. I've also used LCD units for ice fishing for years.

Having now used the Vexilar for a couple of seasons I really like the true flasher for ice fishing. The returns are updated instantaneously. I love the fact that the returns from fish change color as the fish gets closer to the center of the cone (hence, closer to my jig). I don't think the X67C has that feature. I'd go with the FL18 or maybe the Marcum that BLM has. I'm not as familiar with the Marcum units.
[signature]
How does the Marcun work in deep water? With 2000 watts it should get down there. I use a X85 now and really like it. I've never used a flasher but I like the compactness of the Marcum.
[signature]
[size 1]"I love the fact that the returns from fish change color as the fish gets closer to the center of the cone (hence, closer to my jig). I don't think the X67C has that feature."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]The Lowrance is a true color flasher and stronger or weaker signals do have separate colors.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]For me the deciding factors were that I didn't have a lot of money for different machines for ice fishing, pontooning or boat(if I ever get the money for one of those) and gps unit so I bought the lowrance m68 and have been very happy with it. Like I said earlier this is my first sonar unit and I have never used a flasher only type unit like the vex or marcum although if you read some of the many ice fishing web pages they do seem to be favored by people with more experience than I. I am just relateing my limited knowledge[/size]
[size 1][blush][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Bigpapafish[/size]
[signature]