Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slate Canyon hunting
Hit Slate Canyon yesterday above Provo to see if I could find any chukars and/or grouse up there this year. I've hiked it in the past with no luck but thought with a wetter year this year maybe they'd have moved in there.

No luck. Didn't see or hear any chukars along the lower areas that I thought would be good habitat for them (and the DWR reportedly has released birds between Springville and Pleasant Grove along the foothills in this area last week), but didn't see or hear anything.

We hiked farther up the canyon into the thicker trees made up of mixed maple and oak. Saw lots of food: oregon grapes, elderberries, acorns, chokecherries, wild roses, etc. as well as a couple of small springs, but no grouse to be seen. It's a very steep canyon and a difficult hike if you're not in good shape. Make sure if you go up there to bring lots of water. It really isn't worth the effort going up there, I don't think I'll try it again. There are much better places to go but it was close to work and good for a quick exploration trip.
[signature]