Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report 8-23-05 thru 8-24-05
Fished the Berry friday and saturday. The water temp has dropped 10 to 12 degrees in the last two weeks. It is now 56 to 58 degrees. And the fish have moved shallow. There were twelve people and 4 boats in our group. I started of fishing the 30 to 35 foot depths that had been producing the last few months with only a few small fish for our efforts. One of our group went in close to shore and started casting Rapalas to shore and started hooking fish. They let the rest of us know and we moved shallow and started catching fish. We fished water as shallow as 5 feet. Everyone caught a lot of fish. I lost count of mine but it was upwards of 40 fish over two days. Between the twelve of us we caught 16 fish over the slot. With the long fish going to a pair of 25 inch cutts. But the big fish going to a 23 inch 17 inch girth rainbow.
[signature]
I guess its that time of year when the fish are moving into the shallows. 35' was the key depth last weekend just like you said.

What did you catch that rainbow on? Where most of your fish caught casting lures?

Great post. Thanks for the heads up I am planning on going tomorrow.
[signature]
That water is too shallow for you Mike . You just let me get them bows .[cool] I be up there tomorrow . Hoping the "W" is gone by then . Might go hit some new water for a change there .

BFR , thanks for the report .
[signature]
MGB
The rainbow was caught on a black/green wooly bugger. I caught a few fish on a white tube jig. There was also some caught on a krockodile. But 80% were caught on various rapalas. Color did'nt seem to matter with the rapalas. I know there was at least six different color patterns that were producing fish. Caught most in shallow but I trolled the rapalas back into camp and also caught fish. Did'nt use any wieght so we were trolling real shallow but in deeper water.
[signature]
I know where you are coming from with that statement Randy. I don't like fishing shallow water, but there does come a time when it could be good fishing, I might have to give it a try.

Hey! I have caught 4 rainbows this summer at strawberry only one had any size to it but they where still rainbows.
[signature]