Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sunday at the Berry
Fish still feeding . Found some cutts close to shore throwing pointers , rapalas , and modified beatle spins in the morning . Later on they moved deeper but still some picked up trolling . Netted one bow (dink) and 20 cutts biggest going 21" . The "W" showed up too and I was having a hard time holding position so I called it a day . Some of the colors up there to see .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The koke pics look great, Randy. Thanks![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Viner Hand ITC"][#ff4040]nice looking pictures.Those fish are always cool to see.[/#ff4040][/font]
[signature]
I tried the shallows about 3/4 of a mile past mud creek early in the morning casting and vertical jigging tube jiggs and caught a few. Moved out to 33' of water and had my best luck. Caught about 30 and my buddy caught about 20. Biggest was 22.5" the rest where around 20" with a few around 17". My anchor had a real good bite so I did not get blown off my spot. All of the boats around us couldn't hold there position, three boats blew into us. It was some rough water that takes it toll on ya kinda wears you out but its still good to be out on the water.

Surface temperature was 56 degrees.
[signature]
Great pics Randy. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
We did the Berry yesterday and braved the wind all day and what an awesome day of fishing. White and rootbeer tube jigs with smelly jelly and a chunk of worm worked all day whether we drifted or trolled in mostly 20-40' of water. The wind died down around 5:00 and the fishing was off the scale! We had three and four on at one time for almost an hour. It was chaos in our little boat. Kept a couple for supper, one 23 incher and three 12 inchers. The little guy on the boat caught the biggest fish. After sleeping in the bottom of the boat for most of the day. He decided to get up when the wind quit blowing and we started catching fish fast and furious and his first cast he hooked the 23 incher. Fished just across the bay from the Renegade boat ramp. Also kept the teenager interested by baiting a buch of crawdads. Great day to be a fisherman!
[signature]
MGB-
Just wondering if you found a school over by mud creek or just found that magical 33 foot depth and jigged them in (if you build it they will come principle)? Glad you got into them again. Makes for a fun day even in the wind. I'm headed up again tomorrow but the weather doesn't look like its going to be all that great. I need to buy a bigger anchor. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
that was some stong wind yesterday. we also braved that cold bugger. did realy good trolling deep divers. perch. also picked a bunch on jigs, tubes and twitser tails. fried up 3 rainbows for shore lunch. we caught about ten rainbows trolling and dont know how many cuts. did anyone else stick around late enough to hear all the elk bugling back in the chanle at dusk. man their had to be a dozen differnt bulls going at it.
[signature]
I had my best luck casting on points .I even took my boat over 2.2 foot of water on one point with no problem . But now that I think about it , I didn't fish any jigs at all . I did use a jig hook when I put some bait on , but most of the time I didn't fish with bait . Trolling was hard to do because I couldn't get my motor to troll slow except early in the morning but did hook a few going 3.9 mph on the gps speed going back to the marina . I guess I should of let the wind troll for me all day . Wind seem to be a lot stronger in Mud creek then where you were but around that point before the marina was a soaker ride for me . I received a "petty" shower before getting off the water . LOL
[signature]
I marked a couple fish, circled back and anchored. Just like you said "if you build it they will come principle". Thats a good way to put it. I noticed alot of fish where holding tight to the bottom, I would not see them come in suspended, the bottom line on the finder would thicken most of the time then I would get hits or the line would thicken then they would rise a little. A 20 pound navy anchor with 70' of rope out worked great for me yesterday, at first I only had about 50' out and I started to drift then I let out the rest of my rope and it held. The boat was still moving back and forth with the wind and it took a 3/8 oz. jig head to keep it vertical.
[signature]
[signature]
It was funny yeasterday one moment you where right there next to us then I seen you in the distance getting blown away then all of a sudden you where on the other side of us. Never did see you come back.

I can't belive how fast you troll 3.9 amd some people say I troll fast, now thats power trolling.
[signature]
TROLLING FAST AT THE BERRY HAS BEEN A GREAT KEPT SECRET. ITS OUT NOW. CHUCK AND I HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR YRS. 3.5 WITH RAPALAS. AND HANG ON TO THAT POLE.
[signature]
We hit Strawberry Saturday morning, in the cold wind with dark clouds all around. Decided to give it a shot anyway, and knocked 'em dead. Long-lining Wooley Buggers, Rapalas, Needlefish worked great.
Fall colors were fantastic, and the kokes in the stream were great to see. Even Smokey the Bear was at the visitors' center, so our little guy in the group had a great time even after we left the water.
You have some great pix there!
We managed to run off without a camera ...
[signature]
Randy has always criticized me for trolling fast. I was trying to ruffle his feathers but he is a toughh guy to ruffle.
[signature]
Hey , I know it works . No ruffle needed . Only problem is when they hit , it really bends the rod hard . LOL
[signature]