Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saguaro spoons
hello all,

Tube dude, this one is right up your ally.

Saturday the 14th went out to saguaro for a nice morning bite before I headed to the crowd filled malls to do what we all love doing....Christmas shopping!!!!!anyway I will get back to that later.

when going I decided that I was going to spoon most of the day and then try some of my favorite spots for some bass on plastics.....lets just say I never got to throw any plastics. Right away got into a nice school of yellows mixed in with some nice largemouth at about 30 feet deep caught some real nice lagemouth outa that spot with the biggest weight of 7.9lbs and the smallest at just under 3 pounds. We stayed on that spot for a good 2 hours and filled the livewell with the tasty little yellows and took pictures of all the largies. That spot was at the 2nd no wake bouy from the west of Butcher Jones then about 9:30 that bite stopped and it was off to find some more spoon spots. so we headed through the narrows and past the flats with the reeds and to a little hump by the cliff just past the reeds on the west side of the lake and again found those fish at 30 feet. Stayed there the rest of the morning and probly put another 10 largemouth in the boat biggest weight was just under a 5 caught on the first ripp of my spoon. what a nice tripp that was...catchin nice fish and not have to deal with all the water terrorists that we all call jetskiers, what a beautiful day that was.

Anyway my little spoon that I did finally loose was a 3/4 Crocodile spoon with a silver finish (not Hammered), my buddy started throwing the hammered spoon and the catch rate was about 3 to me to 1 of his...or maybe I was just that good };-)

At the ramp when loading up the ole Stratos talked to some guys throwing their arms out tossing the trout imitating bait they all said no luck, that the fishing was slow and all they caught was a sore arm and a bottle of Ben-Gay for their sore arms.

Fish on
[signature]
[cool] Great report. But it makes me wanna jump off my tackle box. My wife and I also hit Saguaro at Butcher Jones Saturday, but we outsmarted ourselves. We had been getting bit later in the morning, so we didn't hit the water this week until later. Then, thinking the bass would be chasing trout, or hanging in the leftover weeds in the shallows, we stayed shallow.

In short, I tossed plastic swimbaits, dropshotted and threw spinners...all to no avail. Fished my little jigs for yellow bass up to about twenty feet deep and couldn't find them. I contemplated moving out past the point, but haven't done anything there the last few attempts, so I never did go deep.

Ended up catching a couple of whacked out channel cats on my bottom bounced jigs, and just about decided that would be my last trip of the year.

You are right about the weather though. Couldn't have been a nicer day. And, fishing is always good...even if the catching ain't.

Appreciate the tip on the spooning. I buy Kastmaster blanks and decorate them up with prism tape. I use different types of silver sparkle and some blue stripes...adding either white or chartreuse eyes. Rigged with a single hook these things do a good job on late fall fish...including the whites and stripers in Pleasant. But, as you found, sometimes a plain silver is hard to beat. Of course, in the hands of a pro like yourself, you could probably take them on a teaspoon with hooks.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
[signature]
Lets say pro I am not haha, Every time I think I can contend I get by butt handed to me on a plate.

Well I am going out on Friday rain or shine, I have myself a new rain suit so I want to give it a shot. I am sure that we will be out spoonin again around butcher jones but this time I would like to go up into the river to see if I can find a good bite up there as well, I will keep you updated.

By the way I remember seeing two tubes out around the no boat bouy line last Saturday and I didnt even think to go see if that might be the one and only Tube Dude! If I would of known I would of been over there in a flash to get one of those priceless autographs hehe. Well I will look for ya nest time, us we will be in a blue and sliver 21ft Stratos with the good lookin guy (me)in the front. Have a great day

Fish on
[signature]
[Image: MESS3307CustomImage0705294.gif]I was just wondering how your trip went, any luck? or did you get stormed on too..?
[signature]
is that a red nose i see ?
[signature]
[cool] Hey, gang. Christmas Day. Bright sun...58 degrees...both water temp and air temp. Water like glass, with little "wind wrinkles" now and then. Only four boats on the whole lake early.

Ideal conditions...right? WRONG! I was hiking on the trail around Saguaro with my wife, not dropping spoons to schooled up largies and yellows. Almost worked off that third extra piece of pumpkin pie, but would have rather been doing hand to fin combat with a fishy.

Saw a couple of semi-serious bassers. I watched through my 30 power binoculars but didn't see any evidence that the guys in the boats were getting anything more than exercise.

Hey, Dave...AZBassMan emailed me that he had gone to Lake Pleasant instead of Saguaro. His party of three got into some nice white bass in Humbug, 30 feet deep on spoons, but the fish left and the rain moved in. He has a nice cold to show for his "dedication" to the fine sport of fishing.

YOU CAN'T BEAT FUN!
[signature]